Saturday, October 29, 2011

Sister Mary Facebook (Skype, Twitter, Blog, Text, YouTube)

JMJ
     It's not unusual for me to make a stop at one of my favorite convents while I am home from school. Often, all it takes is a quick text, email, Skype call or Facebook message to my sisters and our plans are set for Mass and Brunch. This time, however, the unusual took place. Not only was in snowing when I woke up this morning (seriously, it's October and 34 degrees outside), but my plans were for Mass and a Vocation/Formation Technology meeting. Now, occasionally, I've been mistaken for and sometimes referred to as Sister, but I promise you, I am still only in the early stages of Discernment. So why was I sitting in on their meeting?
     Well, I mentioned technology, right? The topic was, "How to reach the young people via technology." And so, we discussed together means of communication via modern technology. So many of the sisters are already on Facebook, so no problem there. And they've been using Skype for conference calls since before I knew what Skype even was. And so, we discussed adding the repertoire Twitter, YouTube, and BLOGGING! How interesting would it be to read the daily lives of the sisters via Facebook statuses, Tweets, YouTube Vlogs and Blogs? Yeah, I'm hooked. It was as they were discussing this, that I thought, hey, it would be pretty interesting to read about a discerner's journey, too. And so, immediately after the meeting, here I am writing my first blog post. 
     Like I said, it's not unusual for me to be texting (in fact, one of the sisters just texted me about movie plans for tonight), facebooking or skyping the sisters. My friends get a kick out of it, but the truth is, these sisters are real people, who really do text me all day long. And I can't enough of their smiley faces. 


No comments:

Post a Comment