Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Dashboard Jesus At The Wheel

"I feel bad when I see a priest or a nun with the latest car.
This cannot be! Maybe you need one to move around for work
but get one that is more humble."
- Pope Francis 


    As some of you may know, I just recently inherited my own set of wheels. Shout out to my awesome Mommom and Poppop for that one! I've had my license for four years this August but until this Summer, I had been riding around in style in the red mom van. I was infamous for the mom van, especially on road trips with my friends. I mean who else could drive all her friends around in one car?! And so, while the surprise of inheriting a car was fantastic, moving from the mom van was bittersweet. I've officially had this "new" car for just about a month now and slowly but surely I am making it mine. One of the first things I did, however, was stick my Dashboard Jesus right smack in the middle of the dash. 
    About two weeks ago, as you might recall, I was helping out at CREW 2013. It is seriously something I look so forward to every year and I couldn't wait for it to begin. Of course, I think I learned more about cars in the few days of CREW than I had in any Driver's Ed class or behind the wheel. You see, the week was car-themed. So, we reflected on the idea of the Rear-View Mirror, the brakes and even AAA. I don't believe in coincidences, I believe in God-Winks and so, it didn't come as any surprise that I had literally, two weeks prior, inherited a new set of wheels. And boy, have they really been coming in handy. 
   Post and Pre CREW, I had the awesome experience of driving a bunch of my Sisters here and there. Maybe it was an ice cream date or a lunch date or even a chauffeur to home. Regardless, suddenly, it seems, my Big Sisters finally trust me behind the wheel. Regardless, the wheel has been in my hands recently and that's really no big deal. Before, I would say it would make me super nervous to drive the Sisters, but now, no problem. Especially with the help of Dashboard Jesus. He not only is there to watch over me, but He is a great conversationalist. One sister got in the car and immediately started laughing. This later resulted in her reenacting Dashboard Jesus to the CREW girls. Another Sister got in the car and immediately started dancing. Jesus was dancing, she said, and that was a huge reflection for her during retreat. Of course, another Sister, being the realist that she is, asked what He was doing with His hands. His hands are open, pointing toward Heaven reminding me that I am always being looked upon from Heaven. 
    Okay so maybe Dashboard Jesus is a little ridiculous, but at least when I look out in a parking lot, my very common Ford Taurus sticks out. Of course, many of my friends have already joked that the Ford Taurus, while very appropriate as my sign is a Taurus, looks very much like a nun car. And even more so because it has Dashboard Jesus. But this statement got me thinking: what exactly constitutes something as a nun car? When I got back in the car this morning after Mass, I found I had left the radio on (a bad habit I will probably never be able to knock...at least it's not the lights). On the radio was the typical 92.5 xtu Philadelphia Country Radio Station. One little known fact about me is that I love country music, more than any other genre probably. This may be because country songs have so much meaning, depth and devotion to emotion in them. But it is most likely because I have always been a country girl at heart. 
     So this country girl at heart saddled up, turned the dial down a little and put the car in drive. As I was driving through Bristol, the morning show talk hosts were discussing what type of car Jesus would drive. I never actually thought about this notion, despite the fact that if Jesus was walking the earth now, He would most definitely need a car. Instantly my creative mind went crazy. If Jesus drove a car...hmmm....my go to car for humble people, the rusty, red, old pick-up truck. It's simple, it's real, it's afforable, it's got good gas mileage and it putters around so everyone knows it's coming. I imagined Jesus with a cowboy hat, tapping the wheel with one hand and the other hand out the window. Of course, Jesus wouldn't be smoking, but He'd be eying up the crops, wondering who was going to help Him harvest. Jesus was a harvester, so in my mind, a farmer in some sense and He had to have a farming truck to get around. Plus, it's the type of car I have always dreamed about. 
     However, if we were being reasonable, Jesus wouldn't be driving a truck. You see, there's only room for two more people in a pick-up truck, unless you filled the bed up. So, if we were really thinking about this, Jesus would most likely drive a fifteen passenger work van like we do when we're in New Orleans. Why? Well, He did have twelve apostles after all and we can't forget about the ladies in His life: Mary Magdalene and his mother, who definitely rode shotgun. So, He would most definitely need those fifteen seats. I imagine He'd use this work van whenever He was out with His disciples. But when He needed to retreat to the mountain or something, He'd take His rusty, red, old pick-up truck with His dashboard filled with bobble heads of those He loves: a dashboard Becca and a dashboard Maria and a dashboard Frankie and a dashboard everyone. 
    While I was imagining all of this, I sort of tuned out to the real message behind the discussion. But after I finished laughing at myself, I realized the Talk Show hosts were discussing Pope Francis' call for humility in even the cars we drive. Jesus wouldn't drive a Cadillac so why do so many priests and sisters drive fancy cars? Wow, what a good perspective, Francis. I was reminded once again why I love our new Pope so much. Not only is he right on the money for humility, poverty and simplicity, but he also has everyone talking about him: Catholics, Protestants, non-denominationalists, everyone. And everyone loves him. I definitely had a smile from ear to ear while listening.
      The conversation ended when someone mentioned that Pope Francis himself drives a simple Ford Focus. Say what?! A Ford? A Ford Focus? Well, I don't drive a Ford Focus, but I think a Ford Taurus is close enough. If the pope can drive a simple car, so can I. Now, I wonder if he has a dashboard Jesus. If not, I might totally mail him one. Kudos, Frannie, Kudos. And keep on living the Gospel!


No comments:

Post a Comment