Sunday, November 10, 2013

How Nice To Be Founded?!

"It was there, amid my Sisters in their blue habits, 
that I felt at home."
- Mother Theresa Maxis



     It's been almost a month since I have last blogged, but alas, that is no inclination that the Lord has not been moving in my heart and soul. Truly, these past few weeks have been some of the most blessed weeks I have ever experienced. I have been full time teaching (all five classes of Juniors and Freshmen) and it's been amazing. But at the end of the day, I am exhausted. Occasionally, I have thought about how easy it would be to blog if all I had to do was talk about my amazing days with my students. But alas, the time and the fatigue just have not allowed me to be able to blog. Trust me, it's been driving me crazy. However, today I found a free hour and so, here goes nothing:
     Today, November 10, is Founder's Day for the IHM Community. Long story short, it's a day they celebrate being founded by Father Gillet and Mother Theresa Maxis back in 1845. Of course, we cannot forget the always lovely St. Alphonsus and St. Teresa (my girl!). For me, it begins a month of celebration because soon after Founder's day, is Charter day (the day IU's Charter was passed so we could be school) and ending with Feast Day, December 8th! Founder's day is special, for without those beautiful people of God who founded the IHM's, first the Oblates of Providence, I would not be where I am today: an IHM educated young woman! 
     I spent my Founder's Day first by going to Mass at the Motherhouse, a place I can call a home away from home after spending every day this semester there. I'm the little princess of the portress and my big sisters love to tease me all day long. I take such simple joy in praying with Sisters. Their voices sound like angels and I simply cannot resist closing my eyes and letting the feeling of Heaven overcome me. Of course, those angels are the ones who hug me at the sign of peace and then congratulate me for not tripping over the kneeler again. Then I'm caught in a fit of giggles and cannot control my laughter as Sister simply puts her serious face back on. Really though? Yeah, I'm the little princess. 
     The next adventure for the day was running back to IU for our Memorial Mass so I could sing. In the fifteen minutes before Mass I went around to every single Sister I could find in Chapel so I could hug them and wish them a Happy Founder's Day. Some Sisters wondered how I knew so I simply answered, "how could I forget?" I love Sundays if only for the reason that I get to see "my girls" at Mass. I miss seeing them every morning for Mass, but I know this is a leg of the journey, I must complete. Of course, I think these Sunday reunions yield mutual feelings. 
     After Mass, I walked back over to the Motherhouse so I could join the lovely ladies of formation for a pilgrimage of sorts to the graves of all the IHM Sisters past. Of course, no pilgrimage is complete without first a stop to the good ol' Produce Junction for flowers and the ever famous WAWA for hot cocoa and/or pumpkin spice coffee. Before long we were well on our journey to St. Agnes cemetery to pray with a few Mother Generals and over 320 IHM Sisters. We visited the graves of two postulants who died before ever making vows and the very saintly Sister Candida. It was no surprise to me that in this cemetery all the Sisters are very neatly buried next to each other while the rest of cemetery seemed scattered in the style of old cemeteries. It was rather beautiful. 
     Next on the pilgrimage was the marker of the first IHM Motherhouse in West Chester. While now the grounds are used for an apartment complex (I joked about getting one there post graduation), the motherhouse was there from 1872 to 1966. It was there that I read out loud the beautiful words of Mother Theresa Maxis' homecoming. She spoke about how wonderful it was to see all the Sisters waiting for her at the door as she pulled in the drive. She reminisced about the feeling of home being with the Sisters, not in any specific place, but with her Sisters in blue. How appropriate, I thought, for IU is a home among beautiful ladies in blue for me, too. 
     Finally, we found ourselves at home at the graves of those Sisters buried in the Camilla Hall cemetery, a place I frequent often. I told the Sisters that in every cemetery of Sisters I visit, I find the Sister who died closest to the day I was born. For the IHM's it's Sister Mary Estella Rock. As we prayed for the other Mother Generals and the Sisters, I felt ultimate peace. Of course, when Sister Martina told us that there are spots in the cemetery left empty for the three living mother generals, I said, "may they remain that way for a very long time." I hadn't meant to say it outloud, but I did and the Sisters agreed with the sentiment. It was peaceful to walk where the saints sleep.
      The day was beautiful and even now as I reflect, nothing made it more perfect that being Sister Patris' partner in crime and steady arm. This dear Sister, someone I am so grateful to have in my life, stands a few inches smaller than I do and occasionally needs a steady arm. I'm kind of her fangirl so being able to be arm in arm with her all day was so perfect. For me, she's a saint. I was so blessed to hear so many of her stories while being arm in arm. Of course, snuggling together for warmth was also a plus! That woman is truly a gem, a diamond of the rarest form and I hope she knows how much I adore her.
      While the day was full of beautiful prayer and visitation, no day with my IHM Sisters could be complete without the entertainment Sister Mary Paparazzi and Sister Mary Hot Wok. I'm so blessed to share a pew with them both almost every day and being with them even on my off days are perfect. You know, I never quite laugh as hard as I do when we are all together. It's quite beautiful if I don't say so myself. There's nothing quite like spending a day with fun-loving people like those beautiful women of God. 
      Today was a day of peace and love. I have always loved walking with the saints sleep and praying with them. I love being able to touch these pieces of history and walk in the same footsteps as our sisters past. There is something eerily beautiful about knowing one is walking in the very same place as the saints in Heaven. The other day at work with Sister Cathy, I got to help change the display cases in the front foyer of Villa Maria. In those display cases are the rosaries of Father Gillet and Mother Theresa Maxis. Touching those beautifully light beads with my fingers, knowing that they, too, prayed with them, allowed me to experience an emotion like nothing before. How wonderfully strange to touch that which the saints touched. I told this story today to the sisters with whom I pilgrimaged and could feel the same powerful emotions. As we finished our journey, we could see the rays of the sun dance from the sky to which I said, "There are our IHM sisters dancing and having a party in Heaven on this great day." Yes, today was a day for the Saints. And I must agree, how nice it is to be founded at home amid my Sisters in blue habits?!


No comments:

Post a Comment