Saturday, January 18, 2014

Get Your Head In The Game - Spectator Sports and Liturgy

"Life is not a spectator sport.
If watchin' is all you're going to do, then
you're going to watch your life go by
with you."
- "The Hunchback of Notre Dame


    
    My last first week of school just happened. While that means there was an awful amount of mixed emotion tears from happiness to bittersweetness to simply being an emotional woman and lots of answering the same question: what are your plans for after graduation? Of course, in the first few days, I contemplated giving a different answer every time to see how many people caught on, but I decided against it for my own sanity. And so, the first week of school, which has often been referred to as syllabus week, is over and done with. I printed out all of my syllabi, marked up my planner with events and due dates, and answered the infamous ice breaker questions on those first days of classes.
   I've always loved ice breakers. I love games and getting to know people. I literally fall on the line between intro and extrovert, so I can get really deep during ice breakers but also do so with great enthusiasm. I love ice breakers that force you to take a risk and sometimes it's the questionnaire type that force you to take more of a risk than the trust ice breakers. I realized that greatly this week during my Sacraments class (fun fact: I'm only taking English and Theology classes this semester...my life rocks). 
    Sister Annette put us into groups (I'm part of the green group) and had us answer a bunch of questions within our group. One of the first questions was: what is your favorite sport? why? do you participate in this sport? Well, in addition to having my last semester as an undergrad on my mind, I've always had the Olympics on my mind. It's a little bit of a secret that I keep: I love watching the Olympics. So, when I answered the question I said: figure skating. Any type of figure skating. Just let it be known that ever since I was young, Michelle Kwan has been my hero. I love figure skating for the elegance it provides the viewer and the beauty it allows me to feel when my skates hit the ice. The combination of classical music and fancy doubles and triples makes my soul feel like it's infinite. Of course, have you seen "Ice Princess?" I totally understand what Casey goes through every time she goes out on the ice. It's like going into your own little bubble of beauty and elegance. 
     I spoke about the elegance of figure skating at length and finally answered that I love going ice skating, even by myself...actually it's better when I'm by myself because then I don't have to panic every time my siblings face plant on the ice. I can skate pretty fast, but I still have a panic attack. This also happens everytime my Dad races past me thinking he's playing ice hockey again. But anyway there's something about watching figure skating but then also there's something even more beautiful about my skates touching the ice. I feel elegant, beautiful and loved. 
     I was thinking of all of this when Sister Annette began talking about Liturgy as a Spectator Sport. She spoke about how so often the congregation comes together for worship in church and simply just watch. Have you noticed how no one but the cantor sings? Sometimes the lector is lucky if anyone responds. Of course, I've also witnessed the Extraordinary Ministers and Priests who literally wait for an Amen before ministering Holy Communion. It's as if, we faithful have come to watch our favorite sport. Yet, when one watches sports, often there is an engagement. At Mass, sometimes, there isn't even a "wow, that was an awesome move." Sister reminded us that the Liturgy was not created to be a spectator sport. We aren't called to don our favorite "God's team" jersey, sit in a pew and watch. Liturgy isn't meant to be watched but rather participated in. We are called to fully participate in the Mass AND here's the clincher....life post-Mass. Remember how the priest/deacon/bishop/archbish/pope says "Go in peace to serve the Lord?" HEY MAN you know what that means?! EXTRA INNINGS! Play on team, play on for days!
     Okay so maybe I sound a bit outrageous, but let's think about it for a second. Let's go back to my love for ice skating. When I watch ice skating, I can see and feel and hear the beauty and elegance with every glide of the skate upon the ice. I am overwhelmed simply by watching the beautiful sport. Maybe some of you feel the same way about basketball, football, curling, bobsledding, swimming, etc. You can watch the sport and feel overwhelmed by the greatness of the sport. As if that wasn't enough for me, I lace up my skates and glide out on my local ice rink, feeling the rhythm of every stride. When I get out on the ice, I instantly feel the emotions I experience while watching times one hundred and one. I immediately feel so much more elegant, so much more beauty, so much more everything. Now, let's apply this to Liturgy.
     It might be a stretch saying that showing up for church excites you as much as watching your favorite sport. But let's just say that sitting in your favorite pew, listening to the music and the readings and watching the priests preside during Mass is a beautiful experience for you. For me, this is true. I can sit in church, meditate, pray and witness the beauty of the Mass. Sometimes I am overwhelmed by the beauty, but more times than not it becomes monotonous. So then, I allow myself to participate instead of just spectate. Suddenly, I am overwhelmed by God's goodness and beauty. Suddenly, I'm in the game and I am experiencing God on a whole new level.
     In today's day and age, Mass, Liturgy and even worship has seemingly been reduced to a spectator sport. We show up for the game, sit in our pew and watch. We don't sing, we don't respond, we don't really know what's going on. Whose team are we even on? We aren't called to this because there is more to life, more to worship than just showing up. Ice skating is so much more beautiful when you, yourself, lace up the skates and get out on the ice. Liturgy is so much more meaningful when we participate. God didn't design Liturgy and worship as a spectator sport, so why are we treating them as such. Lovebugs, let's take some advice from High School Musical's team, the wildcats, "Get Your Head In The Game." Let's go friends, lace up your skates, put on your uniform, it's time to play for God's team. So tomorrow, don't just show up and watch, participate. You got this. Teamwork is great, isn't it?

Also, shout out to Sister Annette for inspiring the writer in me for what I am sure is the first time of many this semester.


1 comment:

  1. wow! you say so elegantly what I see everyday at mass. FR. Mike is never boring and so engaging I cannot see why people aren't excited. I wish you could publish this writing in the bulletin, maybe people would sit up and notice! thanks Becca. happy last semester

    ReplyDelete