Tuesday, March 4, 2014

To Lent or Not To Lent?

"Each soul, upon offering herself to the Lord,
must be prepared to accept both cross and suffering
out of Love for HIM."
- Blessed Frances Siedliska

Brought to you courtesy of Catholic Memes...
     The question was posed the morning of our service trip: who drinks coffee with breakfast? Father and Sister raised their hands. Then Sister elbowed me saying, "What? Is this practice for Lent?" I laughed, then rolled my eyes at her and shook my head. Honestly, I'm not really sure why I didn't raise my hand because everyone knows I was lying to myself if I thought I didn't drink coffee. Needless to say, I was glad people raised their hands for the coffee because I was in need of some hot elixir of life. As I sat at the breakfast table (after laying down the cereal boxes so I could see everyone) with the warm cup on my cheek (to warm myself up, of course), I began to think about what I was going to give up for Lent. I had a few days...that was Saturday morning.
      Now it's the day before the beginning of Lent. I've been seeing statuses about giving up this and giving up that for Lent. My soul started panicking. I HAVEN'T EVEN REALLY THOUGHT ABOUT IT YET. Now, if you know me and you know me well, you know two things about Lent for me: ONE, LENT is my MOST FAVORITE season of the Church and TWO, I always give great thought to my Lenten sacrifice. If you don't really know me, well then, now you know why I was panicking. So, in my panic, I searched the web. I found a great site which listed some great suggestions such as: cream and sugah in coffee, the Frozen soundtrack, and the radio. Then I found another one that suggested some more practical, serious things, like hot water, smartphone addictions, pillows and beds, and shoes. (I really liked the last one...). I thought, wow how nice. I even read a blog post urging young people to NOT give up social media for Lent so as to maintain their presence on the "battlefield." All really good food for thought. Then it hit me....I knew exactly what I was going to do for Lent.
       Did you think I was going to tell you? Remember that story in the Bible about the Pharisee who said, "THANK YOU GOD FOR NOT MAKING ME A SINNER LIKE THAT MAN?!" Well, brothers and sisters, humility is a gift! The truth is, I mulled over quite a few options. I thought about giving up hot water. I thought about giving up cream and sugar in my coffee. Someone suggested giving up ice cream...I can't eat ice cream; that's cheating. I thought about giving up the Frozen soundtrack but like, I really can't give up listening to and belting out "Let It Go." I thought about giving up shoes (the sisters reprimanding me for not wearing sensible shoes in the snow would really be a cross to bear...hmm...just kidding, nunnies!). I thought about giving up driving to work considering it's only right across the street (once again...the reprimanding). I thought about donating all the change in my car to Catholic Relief Services. Then I started thinking about things that would be really difficult to do, like give up the snooze button (my roommate would appreciate that one..). Imagine, not staying in bed for a half hour longer (would it be cheating if I just set my alarm for later). I also thought about giving up sarcasm and sassiness (how would Sister Cathy feel about that?!). At that rate, I should just take a vow of silence for Lent. I was really trying to weigh my options. 
       I decided on a few things for Lent. It's been a personal philosophy to give up one and do an extra. I have my "do an extra" but I'm keeping it a secret. We'll see if anyone can figure it out. I don't have a give up yet (I'm still thinking about the shoe thing...). Maybe I will go with my traditional, all drinks but water. I will definitely have my Lenten weight loss program then. I might actually, seriously give up using my phone during the day. But then I'd have no friends. Tomorrow, during Ash Wednesday Mass, I think God will give me what I've been waiting for: an idea of sacrifice. Until then, friends, I'll be praying! Oh and if you have any suggestions, I'd be more than willing to discern them! 




No comments:

Post a Comment