Sunday, May 11, 2014

Sister Mama Mia

"Being a mother is an attitude, not a biological relation."
Robert A. Heinlein


     For many in the United States, today is a day to celebrate Mom. Personally, I think we should celebrate mom every day because honestly, moms are amazing. They do so much for us kiddos everyday. However, what many do not know is that today is Good Shepherd Sunday. In the words of my sister, Mary, that means there's lots of Scripture about sheep. BUT what it also means is that today is National Pray for Vocations Day. While many would never connect the two celebrations of Motherhood and Religious Vocation, I find it extremely fitting. 
     Day one of college, August 2010: little Becca on her own for the first time. She needs the comfort of a gentle mother. Sister Cathy enters to scene and ever since that day, little Becca has been snuggling under the Mother Eagle's wing. Little Becca would join in for prayers and Mass every day with the Sisters. Slowly but surely, the Sisters began to accept that this little college freshman was not leaving anytime soon. Whether the Sisters had Becca in class, saw her walking around campus or simply shared a pew with her two days out of the five day week, the Sisters began to realize that Becca was kind of like their pseudo child. And Becca, well, she kind of forced Pseudo-Motherhood on some of them. 
     Every single day of the school year for the past four years, I have spent most of my mornings with these lovely ladies in blue. We shared many a handshake or hug during the sign of peace, many funny faces at exciting happenings during Mass, and many moments of faith and prayer. But also, there were moments in my days where I would spend time sitting in random offices of the Sisters, laughing, sharing life stories and sometimes even crying. When I was scared or nervous about something, usually they were the first to know. Whenever I had accomplished something great or heard wonderful news, Sis usually found out by a quick facebook message, a knock on the door or even a whisper down the pew. Somewhere in the crowds at play performances, honors convocations, or even in the congregation at Mass, when my family couldn't be there, the Sisters were there. Granted, the Sisters live on campus, but still, I could always count on them to be somewhere in the sea of people. 
      As the years went on and I got older, part of me got smaller, and I definitely got closer with my Sisters. Of course, I think part of that came with the ability to simply be my crazy, silly self with each of them. It was also the ability to be my quiet, gentle self, too. But, of course, it was also the ability to be small. Sometimes all a girl needs is a motherly hug or a walk arm in arm with someone she trusts. I've always been a snuggler and somewhere along the line, some of the Sisters accepted that. As Sister Mary so perfectly put when I accidentally fell asleep on her should around the campfire during our annual bike trip to the beach, "I've known Becca for four years; I'm used to it by now." Thanks again, Sis, for sharing your shoulder. Of course, this isn't the only time this has happened. Apparently, I like to fall asleep in random places. So shout out, to Sister Cathy for my most recent shoulder stealing slumber. 
       The Sisters have been my on campus mothers for the past four years. They have fulfilled every role a mother has for me from being nurse to being confidante to even being best friend and advisor. I've been spoiled really to say that I have so many moms. You see, while none of them have any biological children, they can still be mom to me and so many. In fact, the very notion that they don't have any children, has allowed them to love all who come into their lives and force themselves under wing (like me). One Sister even told me that my graduating is like baby bird finally leaving the nest and the mother birds will eventually experience the empty nest syndrome. 
      The very fact that Mother's Day and National Pray for Vocations Day fell on the same day this year is no coincidence. Always I think of how, while I won't get to have any biological children of my own, I will maybe get to fulfill the role of loving mother to a homesick college student or a first grader having a rough day in the schoolyard like my Sisters have done for so many years. In their own way, they have lived out the motherhood of the Blessed Virgin, "gentle women, quiet lights, morning stars, so strong and bright, gentle mothers, peaceful doves." I see how so many of them embody the spirit of Mary, the first Mama Bear, and I cannot be anymore grateful. Because truly it is through this spirit of living out the life modeled after Mary's gentle heart, that they have been that motherly support for me while I've been away at college. 
      I would be remiss if I didn't say thank you to my many moms who reprimanded me for not wearing a coat in a snowstorm, who checked in on me while I had the flu or strep, who hugged the tears away, who allowed me to snuggle while I fell asleep (although, never in class!!), who gave so much of their time to me by allowing me to sit in their offices and chat. Today is special because it is a gentle reminder to me and it should be for so many, that Sisters have been Mom to so many in the history of women religious. 
      And so, to all the Sisters in my life, especially the Sisters with whom I have spent the past four years, who have been like a mom to me, thank you. To all those I have called mom in some respect, whether it was Mama G, Mama Jamma, Pseudo Mom, Sister Mom or even just MOM, I'm glad you haven't disowned me or thrown me from the nest. Thank you. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to survive now that I have to be an actual adult now, but I guess every baby bird has to fly away from the nest in their lives. On this Mother's day, I thank not only my own Mother, but all the religious who have been mom to me or someone in their lifetime. And, of course, a big shout out to the Blessed Virgin Mama Bear for being my spiritual mother since day one of life. Thank you for sending me your beautiful daughters as my companions on this journey. 



No comments:

Post a Comment