Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A Splash of Crimson

"But loving him was red, 
oh red, burning red.
Darling, it was red."
- "Red," Taylor Swift


     For the first time this semester, I was up before the alarm went off. I was laying in bed when it felt like butterflies were kissing me on my eyelids. It was as if Daddy was gently telling me to wake up, that He had a surprise in store. And after rolling over and almost ignoring the natural wake-up call, the alarm went off a few minutes later. So, I climbed out of bed and actually took my time getting ready for the day. There was no rush, no running late, no trying to find shoes in a hurry, no throwing my hair in a bun because I didn't have time for a crack of dawn shower. There was just time and peace and quiet. Often I am baffled by the fact that I don't actually speak, I don't break the silence of the day, until about an hour after Mass (excluding Mass responses). Yet, today I felt such peace in the quiet and felt no need to speak, no need to break the silence. In fact, I wanted the silence.
    Imagine my surprise when, after coming to the peaceful recognition of the beauty of silence, all of a sudden I heard this insane scratching noise as I walked down the pathway to back campus. What on earth, I thought. So, I stopped, thinking for a brief second I was going crazy and was hearing things. When I looked up to see if there was anything in the tree, I saw nothing but an empty bird's nest; a solid reminder that Winter is still upon us. And when I looked, I realized the noise had stopped. So, I kept walking. But a few seconds later, I heard it again and so I turned around. Humbly sitting on his hind legs in the highest branch was a little gray squirrel chomping down on his breakfast. He was literally cracking down on a HUGE walnut. I laughed, realizing how impossible the squirrel seemed attempting to eat a nut bigger than his head and much bigger than his little hands could hold. Yet, he was determined. I smiled, said hello, took his picture and left him in peace to finish his breakfast.
    As I continued on my walk, I noticed Sister Susan walking from the convent. We would eventually meet at the fork in the sidewalk. I smiled in her general direction and then realized the beautiful red sky behind her. She smiled back in the silence and then nodded her head with a gentle hand motion to direct my attention the back of the school building. I stopped solid in my footsteps and couldn't believe my eyes. THE WHOLE BUILDING SEEMED DRAPED IN A BLANKET OF CRIMSON RED! It was breathtaking. Like, I literally think I stopped breathing for a few seconds. She watched me take it in and then together, like little kids, we watched the sunrise as we walked across the rest of back campus. I snagged a picture real quick, because I could literally NOT let the opportunity slip. It was too beautiful. However, as I was taking the photo, she brought my attention to the cross on the corner of the building. There was "just enough crimson" to cover the Cross. And I thought, how appropriate for the day before Lent: to see the cross draped in red, as a reminder that He shed His blood for us. I smiled as I thanked Him in my heart and then Sister Susan proceeded to take the stairs for me so we could continue our journey to Chapel together. Before I entered Chapel, I said, "I know today will be a day of beautiful wonders because we shared the sunrise together. Thank you." 
     Ever since I was a little kid, I have been fascinated by the sun. I could watch sunsets and sunrises all day. In fact, I could watch the sun dance in between the clouds all day, too. I yearn to take beautiful photos of the sun setting and rising. It, just like words, fills my heart and soul with so much beauty. How could I not accept God's invitation to love after all the beautiful sun scenarios He has given me? Now, I know that many see the sunrise or sunset as something to watch with their significant other, but for me, I wish to share that beauty and love with EVERYONE! In truth, my significant other IS there with me, for He sent me the sun in the first place. But to be able to share the beauty of the sunset or sunrise, like I did this morning with Sister Susan, is such a beautiful moment. 
     The sun does for me what the ocean does for a lot of people; it brings me peace and makes me stop. It's like God is putting up the RED LIGHT and telling me to stop, to recognize, to breathe and to feel the beauty that surrounds me and is within me. God knows, however, that I also love water; calm, drops or flowing streams. And so, He gave me today, both in a poetic sense. Just as a splash in the water catches our attention, God caught mine with a splash of friendship with Sister Susan and a splash of crimson on my face. If only we could all take a few moments of our day and realize the splashes He is making in our lives!
     When we finally got to Chapel, I noticed that a lot of the sisters were straggling in a few minutes after prayers began. It may have been because prayers started earlier than usual, but I like to think that they all enjoyed a moment with their significant other as He splashed all their faces with the beautiful, crimson Son. 


No comments:

Post a Comment