Friday, February 1, 2013

Meant To Be A.....

"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one! I hope someday you'll join us." - John Lennon

For many of you, you know that it is Catholic Schools week! You might also know, whether by the infamous Facebook posts from moms or the giggling little ones standing outside of stores, that it's also Girl Scout Cookie season! Both of those events are key players in my crazy, adventure-filled week!
A few weeks ago before I went back to school, Sister Marcelina asked me to be a special person for her class on Special Persons day during Catholic Schools Week! Of course I said yes! CSW was my favorite week growing up and honestly, one of the reasons I was so sad when my grade school was closing was because our parish wouldn't be celebrating it anymore! But God had a different plan! Typically on Special Persons Day, parents or grandparents of the students come in and talk about their profession. That's great except, I'm neither a parent nor grandparent and I also don't have a profession!! So, at work on Monday morning, I was almost begging the sisters for prayers for inspiration for something to talk about! Having nothing, I pulled into the driveway of the school on Tuesday morning and sighed! Then I went to move by backpack from the front seat when I got the inspiration! My profession is that of a college student/teacher wanna-be! Needless to say, with no preparation at all, I carried my backpack into the classroom and began talking with the sixth graders about dreams and my dream to be an English High School teacher! It all started with one book, I told them: Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss! They loved it! At the end, I told them all that in order to achieve their dreams they have to want it and they have to work toward it, especially in college!! Admits all the talking and questions we also had music practice because I told then that I love to sing and then they performed their favorite song for me too! My morning with them ended with the two boys proposing my thank you gift to me in the front of the room! I couldn't stop laughing! As mug as I loved being in that classroom though, those kids certainly instilled in me that I am meant to be a HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER!
Later that day, I headed back to school to find a package in my PO Box! It was an entire case of mixed Girl Scout Cookies from the Brogan girls, Caleigh and Meghan! I was overjoyed....and so were my friends! At Mass the next day, I prayed for the Brogan family and realized how much in my heart I missed them all! But I was reminded too of how much faith in my vocation they instill in me! I don't think those girls know how much they instill that faith in my vocation! It is because of their faith that I know I am meant to be a sister!! Not because they drive me crazy (they are perfect little girls) but because they are a reminder of how many children I could affect with my love for Jesus!
And so, it's the little signs given to us from God that truly do help us know we are what He intends us to be! We simply have to be open to hearing His voice!





1 comment:

  1. When I was teaching I always loved Catholic Schools Week because we had such creative activities. Blessings on all who support the continuation of Catholic schools: the dedicated faculties and staff, the parents who make such sacrifices to keep it alive, and, of course, the students who are the heart and soul of it!

    ReplyDelete