Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Happy Heavenly Homecoming, Birthday Twin

"Well done, good and faithful servant."
- Matthew 25:21


     Phone calls from my AE always warrant one of two things: either a scathingly brilliant idea or news from the homefront. On Wednesday night, it was both. It was that conversation that prompted me to decide to go home earlier in the weekend than I had planned. You see, I was going home on Saturday to help my sister shop for a prom dress. But as I hung up the phone, I decided I needed to go home Friday. Sometimes news from the home front is good, but this time it was hard news to deliver. My dear Sister Michael was preparing to go home to meet her Beloved and I needed to say goodbye. 
     So, after skillfully packing boxes upon boxes of chapel decorations into the closet with Sister Cathy, I packed the car and headed home in the pouring rain. I have two ways I could go home: the PA Turnpike or I-76 straight into Center City. On occasion, when I feel like taking the scenic route (and when I don't have toll money...) I take 76. I did just that. Of course, anyone from the Philadelphia area knows that no matter what time of day one decides to travel on 76, there is always traffic. Before I lift, Sister Cathy suggested I put on some peaceful music and drive slowly home (she knows I sometimes have a lead foot) and I did just that. Driving slowly was out of my control. It took me a little longer than usual but for once, the traffic didn't prompt the impatient driver in me. Instead, I focused on getting home to Sister Michael. 
      I went straight to the convent. I didn't even stop at my house. I checked in with Sister Josepha and soon enough found myself on the second floor. God has perfect planning in the sense that I arrived right at dinner time and the sisters were all getting ready. Therefore, I got stopped by a table of my crazy nunnies. I'm always on God's time and so I knew, my visit with these sisters was all part of God's plan. After at least a half hour of conversation with them, I gave a gentle knock on Sister Michael's door. A cheerful "come on in" beckoned to me from inside. I smiled when I saw Sister Regina sitting quietly with Sister Michael. They had told me she was preparing to go Home to Jesus all week and that she was sure today was the day. I knew otherwise. 
      It seems against my personality, I know, but I sat quietly with Sister Michael for about an hour. I prayed a finger rosary (you know, the best way to keep time and keep quiet in grade school...praying on your fingers) with her and occasionally, she would burst awake with a conversation starter for me. She asked me about school, student teaching and the most important question: what about your students inspired you the most? I think I lulled her back to sleep with my litany of ways my students inspired me. Every so often, she would muster a "mhmm" and I would laugh then keep talking until I knew she was asleep. Then I'd go back to praying for her. 
      As I watched her sleep, I realized that watching someone die peacefully, is like watching a baby sleeping. Both are so very close to God that on their faces is ultimate peace. I kept gentle watch over my sister and imagined the peace she would soon experience. I asked Jesus to take her by the hand gently and let her go through the gates of Heaven with no problem. I prayed and watched for an hour. At 5:45, I blew her a kiss and told her I loved her, knowing that it could quite possibly be the last time I ever saw her. 
      As my life would have it, as I was trying to leave the convent quietly (shocking, I know), I got snagged at the door by another one of the sisters and invited to stay for the presentation given by Mother Jana on the international missions of the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth. The room was full of Sisters I loved so dearly and as I sat there, I realized how long it had been since I had been home to see any of them. I didn't even stop over for a visit at Christmas time. I tried to think back and couldn't remember the last time I saw any of them. I had stayed away for so long but I was still welcomed home with open arms. 
      The next morning, I went back to the convent for Mass and later in the day, I went one more time to see Sister Michael. This time, her sister was there, a few other sisters and some family members. I didn't want to overwhelm her, so I stood close to the door, said my final goodbye to her and once again blew her a kiss. My sister was with me, and part of me felt as if she knew how hard it was for me to lose a friend. 
       I had known Sister Michael for so many years...she lived at the convent I frequented so often after school on the weekends and during the summer. She had her favorite spot in the community room, which just happened to be my favorite spot, too. We always had a gentle conversation when I was there for a visit, and she always had a hug for me. But what bonded us together was our birthday. The very first conversation I ever had with Sister Michael, we discovered that we were birthday twins, both of us born on May 9th. Not the same year, of course, but we were birthday twins none the less. I couldn't help but smile remembering all the conversations I had had with Sister Michael as I rode the elevator down with my Sister. 
       As I drove home to school that night, I went back over the last conversation I had with Sister Michael and all her "mhmms." I had been crying but suddenly, I burst into laughter. Poor girl was just trying to sleep. I do the same thing to my roommate when she talks to me as I'm trying to fall asleep. I give little affirmative "mhmms" until I fall asleep. But that wasn't the end of it. I remembered how every time I was over for supper during college, we would always go upstairs for recreation. While I would be playing some card game with some sisters, Sister Michael and a few other sisters would be watching the news and then jeopardy. Without fail, Sister Michael would sit in the same seat and slowly fall asleep. Her head would bob a little until it eventually fell on her chest. If someone was talking to her, she would answer with words and then eventually "mhmms." Of course, the true test of whether or not she was sleeping was if she started to snore. No one ever woke her up though, she always woke herself up and eventually go upstairs to her room for the night. I always found this to be the funniest thing and often would giggle every time this happened. I guess it's because I knew that one day, I would do the same. Now, I know for sure that I do the same thing. Gosh, I even fall asleep reading at work in the same fashion: heading bobbing and then out. I laughed a good portion of the way home after remembering those moments of slumber and "mhmms." 
        The next few hours were spent waiting to here from anyone back home. The phone call (and texts and emails) didn't come until the middle of our 7:00 PM mass on Sunday night. I had spent the hour before Mass  sitting in Chapel, glasses off and head bobbing on occasion. I kept a prayer vigil with Sister Michael. I found out later that she had gone home to God during that time during which I was praying for her. I know for sure that God welcomed her home just as the sisters welcomed me home Friday night. She went peacefully, surrounded by family and her sisters. I thanked God that her suffering was over and shed the reasonable tears. However, I couldn't help but rejoice. I gained another saint in Heaven and she is now living it up with her Beloved. Lucky girl. Happy Heavenly Homecoming, Birthday twin. I hope I make it to as many birthdays as you did. Keep watch over us, Saint Sister Michael! 



No comments:

Post a Comment