Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Cafeteria Whoops...Humilty At It's Best

    Sometimes you meet that Sister who is just so real, so legit, and who can easily remind you how human you are. I know plenty of them. However one of them is who I share a pew with every so often. She is the one who sees me on campus and tells me to move because I'm in her way, who smirks and says, "Peace Be with you, Valentine," on Valentine's Day and tells me that I looked like an idiot when I fell in the Cafeteria. Truth is, she's right all the time. And I love her for it. And if I didn't have the buddy-buddy relationship I do with her, I'd be shocked that a NUN could talk to me like that...or anyone. But really, it's just me she likes to tease.
    And so, this is what happened. I was just casually minding my own business, walking back to my table after getting my lunch and filling my cup with Cranberry juice and Gingle Ale, when all of a sudden, my foot found the ice on the floor. And you can guess what happened next: Nope, food didn't fly everywhere, nor did I spill my whole drink. Out of everything that could have happened, two chips flew off my plate and a fraction of an ounce of juice spilled over the side. Wow, I actually had balance. What I won't have any more is the ability to kneel at Mass for at least the next week because of this catastrophe.
    My knee right away hit the hard tile floor while my food remained safely on the plate. Immediately, I stood up, ran to the nearest table and grabbed some napkins. I didn't even think that the whole Cafeteria saw me fall, nor did I really care. I just wanted to clean up the water I slipped in, so no one else slipped. Well, my attempt to even walk anymore was foiled when I couldn't move. Thank God for the Cafeteria manager who ran to my rescue to clean up the water. Meanwhile, as I was standing there with napkins in hand, my Sister came over and says, "Wow, you just looked like an idiot falling in front of the whole cafeteria. But lucky for you I still love idiots. Did you get hurt?" LIKE WHAT?! Did she really just say that? On the verge of tears because my knee hurt, I said, "Yeah, my knee hurts." And so she asked if I would be alright, since all the nuns know about my busted up knee (I have pinched nerves in my left knee from various convent excursions) and then gave me a hug. "I still love you," she said. And I had to hold on because I would have lost it. After I regained my dignity, and found out that barely anyone saw me fall, I ate my lunch, laughing about the whole situation. Thank God for the Sisters who keep it real and keep me humble! Too bad for the bruised knee though...

No comments:

Post a Comment