Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Flat and Windy City

     The first thing I thought as soon as I stepped off the plane: "This place is flat. Really, really flat." Seriously, it was. Now granted, I go to school on a mountain (really, it's just a hill) but I'm naturally from Philadelphia. Man, that place is like the Alps compared to Chicago. However, I'm told it's not as flat as Oklahoma. Hmm...
     Anyway, so let's start in the airport. There I was, all packed, having just skipped my Spanish class, waiting for my Sister. She arrives and we get our tickets then walk through Security. "Oh hell, Sister," the security dude says as he gives her a weird look that screams "OH MY GOSH SHE HAS HAIR UNDER THERE!" when she whips off her veil. I didn't think anything of it. Actually, I had no idea she even took it off. She walked through, then me, myself and Jesus walked through. I messed it up because I moved my head and then I had forgotten to take off my knee brace so I had to get patted down anyway. Good thing I wore jeans, tis all I'm saying. 
      You know, I have a secret love for the airport and for flying. I always wanted to get my pilot's license and if I could have one super power it would be to grow wings and fly. I love it. I guess it's because I loved swinging on swings when I was little, and the feeling I get when I sing and am so filled with Love of the Lord is that I could take off and fly. I just love flying. So, unlike most people who are paranoid about flying, I was completely fine. And passed out almost before the plane even left the runway. 
      When we finally landed, after my two hour nap, one of the my new sisters picked us up! It was wonderful. She was an absolute hoot and right away greeted me with a hug, even though we were stopped in the middle of traffic. I loved her already! I got a mini preview of parts of Chicago which confirmed my feelings of it being super flat AND saw the first EVER McDonalds. There is a plastic man inside that waves at unsuspecting passers-by. Weird. We got to the convent and right away I was greeted with more energized hugs and love. I felt like a brand new addition to the family. Oh wait...I was. Since the others weren't getting there til later, I was able to get a tour of the Noviate and the Provincilate both of which are on the same property. Both were beautiful. I was surprised when I saw one of my closest sisters come out of no where and freak out when she saw me. It was wonderful. When we got back, I took a nap. Oh the college student in me.
      We had supper and activities together which was lovely and hit the hay early. The next day we headed out REALLY early for the Chicago Nun Run. It was VERY interesting. We literally "ran" to three different convents of different communities with a bunch of discerning young women and spent time with each of them. It was great and very cool to learn about different communities in the area. One community was just founded in 2009 and had three novices as members. Pretty cool!!!!
      We got back just in time for supper and recreation. I seriously love convent meals, but y'all already know that!!! After supper we played Apples to Apples, my personal favorite and an old convent tradition. It was glorious. Playing the game with all types of sisters, some who primarily speak Polish, some who take it literally, some who don't, some who aren't English majors (oh wait....everyone) and some who just never understood the game's purpose!! I loved it!!! 
      Sunday was my favorite day, as it usually is because of all the Jesus time!! We were up for breakfast, then morning prayer, then faith sharing, then midday prayer, then Mass, then LUNCH...all before I had to catch the plane home to the dome. The moment I walked into the Provincilate, I was once again greeted with LOVE and hugs from complete strangers who already knew my name, who had been expecting me. Precious. Faith sharing with those who were strangers no more, was amazing. My favorite line was, "And He grasped her hand." I shared that and later during Mass, when I was sitting with the same sister who spazed on Friday, during the Our Father, she grasped my hand and reminded me that she always would when she walks with me through my journey. The best part about Mass was sitting between two musically inclined sisters and all of us naturally going off into three part harmonies on every song. PRECIOUS!!!
      Before long, my Chicago adventure had come to a close and I was headed home on a plane with my AE, my Sister. Together, we chatted about how great it was for me to get to see Chicago and we watched the sunset behind us. It was beautiful! In a heartbeat I'd go back. Only this time, I hope to be proven wrong that Chicago is as flat as I think it is!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment