Friday, February 17, 2012

Sorry If I Infect You...Joy?

"Let anyone who comes to you go away feeling better and happier. Everyone should see goodness in your face, in your eyes, in your smile. Joy shows from the eyes, it appears when we speak and walk. It cannot be kept closed inside. It reacts outside. Joy is very infectious."
- Mother Teresa of Calcutta

     Many of you are probably wondering what happened to me? Why haven't I written? Where have I been? Well, here's a few things: I turned into a real college student. I have been busy reading and writing papers. And I've been all over the place, including Chicago. So finally, here I am, half way through February and writing. 
     Technically, I am at work right now. But the phone hasn't rung in about two hours. I think it's safe to say that Fridays are a very quiet night here on the homefront. I was sitting here reading some Mother Teresa (because I'm sitting on the board for Women's History Month planning. Woohoo student advocates!!!!!) when I came across the previously stated quotation. It made me think.
     I've been so busy in the past few weeks, traveling, doing homework, reading and working, that I wonder how many people I've met along my way that have left my presence happier? It made me really reflect on how many smiles I could have shared but didn't because I was running here, there and everywhere. I wondered how many people I didn't infect with my natural Joy. Or how many people I wasn't even joyous to. And then, I decided that I needed to go back to my ways, my roots, my nature. So, I'm making a change.
     Starting right now, despite my business, I am going back to smiling at everyone. No matter if they stop to talk to me or not. I am smiling. If we stop to talk, then I was meant to be there for that person. And if I'm late to something because of it, well, God will work through it. I decided that I will be joyful, no matter how much I have on my plate or how much I've been running. AND I decided that a joyful person needs more sleep. So...I'll be getting to bed for 2 am this week. 
    I'm promising you all right now, that I will infect you. I will spread my happiness all over you. And I hope you all can leave my presence feeling better and happier, just like Mama T suggests I do. And I promise to be back on the blog, keeping up the strain of discernment. I'm working on it. Next week I'll be on retreat, so I'm sure I'll have plenty enough to say for that. 
     Stay tuned for the next few blogs for I will be enticing you with tales of the Flat and Windy City, my Cafeteria adventure, and What It's Like To Be A Chapter Groupie!! God bless!!!

2 comments: