Sunday, September 2, 2012

Counting The Tears

"Don't ever discount the wonder of your tears. 
They can be healing waters and a stream of joy.
Sometimes they are the best words a heart can speak."
- W. Paul Young, The Shack


     "You have a history with 'Mikes'," she said to me. "Yeah, I guess I do," I answered wiping snot and tears off my face. I had been curled up in a ball on the last seat in the last row of chairs in Chapel when she walked in. I was literally sitting in the fetal position, with my head down, sobbing. Not even five minutes before another sister had walked through the "magic door" and found me there. She gently came over, stood beside me, with her hand on my shoulder and said, "Cry, just let it out. I'll pray. You cry." Five minutes later, my dear sister walked in and found me. I hate, hate, hate crying in front of people, especially people whose idea of me is the "tough as nails" girl. Yet, I just continued to sob as these two sisters walked in and sat with me. It was the type of crying where you can't really breathe right, or even talk higher than a whisper, because  the tears are just continually running down your face. It was the type of cry, where I just wanted to fall into someone's lap and stay there, protected from the horrible news I just heard. As I sit here to write this, I sob again, mourning not only a friend, or a fellow parishioner, but rather, someone who was like another father to me my whole life. 
     He was a sarcastic man, with a brutal sense of humor. You had to learn to understand him. He was a rough and tumble type of man, like mot people from Croydon. He never took any crap from anyone. He came off as mean and bitter and wicked, but we all knew that was just Mike. Inside, he cared more about you than he often let on. I know this for a fact because he always told me that if anyone tried to hurt me, he'd have to use a lot of self-restraint not to kill them. Truth is, he probably would. He wasn't afraid to tell people how he felt, or what he thought, even if he was wrong. It often seemed as if he was made of cast-iron and maybe some brick, too. Yet (and he'd kill me for saying this but it's true...), he was marshmallow soft instead. How do I know? He told me my voice was good enough to make a grown man cry, tears of awe. And after he said that, he told me if anyone but me sang at his funeral, he'd jump right out of his casket and raise hell. These are all direct quotations, I promise. He made me promise with my whole heart that I would do all I could to make sure I sang at his funeral. I never thought I'd have to do it from my pew so soon. 
     Most people don't get the close-knit network my Parish has. It literally is like I have so many fathers, so many mothers and so many brothers and sisters. The sign of peace takes forever, because we HAVE to say hello  to everyone. The saying, "It takes a whole community to raise a child" definitely applies to EVERY SINGLE KID that grew up in Croydon. We are all so close with one another and so right now, we're all mourning with one another. I can't tell you how many Facebook messages and texts I've gotten from my parish family members, all of us in tears, just sobbing over the phone or the internet. Losing Mr. Frat, is losing a part of my family, losing a part of myself. People shake their heads at how upset I get when something happens to my parish, but they just don't understand. This is family. This is what sustains me in prayer and love and faith and humor. And the hardest part about being away from all of them right now, is that I have to cry alone physically. I know spiritually and emotionally, they are all carrying this sorrow with me. But it's hard. I just wish I could be home. 
      This is a lesson in trust, I know. I have to trust God on this. And I also think this is God telling me, I'm getting soft in my old age. I mean, I seriously just told the whole world I'm sobbing and mourning. I've got to really trust God in this situation. I've got to trust that He knows what He is doing. And I've got to trust that He'll send me someone here with big open arms, willing to get their shoulders soaked, and hold me in a long hug while I try to count my tears. 
       Thanks all for the prayers and support. I know the family really appreciates it. 

7 comments:

  1. Becca,

    I am a fellow St Thomas parishioner who had the privilege of getting to know Mike Frat over the last 3 years. You described him beautifully. I grieve with you and pray you may trust his service to others in this life will be rewarded him in heaven with our God who is all loving, merciful, and forgiving.

    Nancy Adams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca that was beautiful. It couldn't have been said better. Sorry I can't be the shoulder you need. But praying that we can all be strong enough to get though it together. Love you!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Becca, that was incredible and pretty darn accurate, I think Mr. Frat has a great big smile on his face hearing that discription!! I only wish I could have known him longer, when he came in the room I felt the warmth of his heart through that ruff tough exterior, I will miss that terribly!! You are in my prayers!! Debbie Fowler

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Becca, What a wonderful description and pic of Mr. Frat. I agree with Debbie about the smile but I'm sure he'd have a smart alec reply to go with it! He was such a fixture at St. Thomas he will be greatly missed by all. Hugs Linda Shaffer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Becca,
    So many of us share your grief and sorrow right now. Mr. Frat was a special guy to many of us in many ways. I totally agree that this is a lesson in trust. What a blessing it is to be part of this parish family. It is and will become more apparent that his life here was not in vain. We will pay tribute to him in a way that, God willing, will make his family even more proud. Again Becca, we're with you in spirit and we'll be with you soon. Dan DiTommaso

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are feeling the tears from heaven today. Each drop you feel is Mr Frat kissing your cheek to let you know he is in a happier place. We will all miss him, but we will be strong because that is what he would want. love you and miss you.
    Marie Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. and there goes a whole other rush of tears. thanks parish family for all the love. I will see you all so soon!

    ReplyDelete