Friday, October 12, 2012

Time Is Love - Loving and Being Loved

"Time is love, gotta run, love to hang longer
but I got someone who waits, waits for me and right now
she's where I need be. Time is love."
- "Time Is Love", Josh Turner


     I apologize in advance for getting this song stuck in your head and heart. Truth is, I've probably quoted it a million times in multiple blogs. It's one of my favorites, can you tell? It just honestly speaks volumes to me. I love the feeling I get when listening to it: it reminds me of a perfect summer with my little sisters. I am instantly reminded of roadtrips to the beach with my sisters in the back seats, breaking rules and swimming in waterfalls, singing at the top of my lungs in harmony with my sister while driving to the middle of no where and waving at unsuspecting passersby while in traffic, and of course, I'm reminded of those early morning wawa coffee dates with the little one or midnight McDonalds run where we shared a box of chicken nuggets and a fruit smoothie (we are soooooo healthy, let me tell you.) I miss those moments of my summer, and yet they are forever molded in my mind. This song will always be connected with those joyous moments of time spent loving with my sisters. However, there's so much more to this song for me. 
     Last night was my first night back at work since last Tuesday because I've been sick. I had a few good days when I was at home, but I came back to school sick, sick, sick. I won't give you too many details, but it was one of my worst nightmares come true: no voice. I still have a groggy little froggy voice as little Lizzie calls it, but I'm doing much better. I am taking my time getting better though, so I don't relapse ;)! However, like I said, I went back to working portress last night. Usually when I go, it's like two ships passing in the night because as I am coming, she is running to ring the bell for prayers. But yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised by Sister Honora, who returned to the office after ringing the bell. Instead of running off to prayers, she sat in the "guest seat" in the portress office and chatted with me for almost a half hour. When she left she said, "I made this my prayer today. We have to make time to take time with those we love." I thanked her for the reminder that time needs to be taken. Then instantly, Josh Turner was stuck in my head. 
     As you could easily tell, I'm a writer. That's a shocker, I know! So, I wrote Sister Honora a letter. But for me, that wasn't enough. I needed to spread the word, because what she said was so true. And so, I ended up here. The truth is, and I told her this, I am always, always, always taking time to remind myself to take time for others. I have always been an advocate for giving small smiles, saying hellos and carrying on conversations with those I may not know very well, or being aware of the small things in a person's life. Yet, sometimes, I forget how much time is love for those closest to me. For those I love. I guess I assume they know how much I love them, and yet, I know I have to tell them, I have to show them, I need to give them time. And there are so many that I love that I don't tell enough. I'm going to change that. Because time is love and I need to give them more of my time. 
     This wasn't the only thing I realized though when she visited with me. After I really thought about it, she said we have to make time for those we love. Yes, I am reminded that I have to give more time to those I love BUT also, I need to make time to be loved. This week, while I was sick, I couldn't do much loving. I spent a lot of time in bed and sleeping. I wasn't really a happy camper, so there were no random smiles, no random conversations, no time for love. And yet, my heart wasn't empty. People, I realized were making time for me, to love me. I got a few phone calls checking up on me, notes from my "Mom" at school on my door, apples from my favorite Freshmen, and of course, conversations with some of my favorite Motherhouse Sisters. My visit with Sister Honora (and all the extra lovin' I got this week) was God's double reminder to tell those I love how much I love them AND to be open to accepting love. God, as He always does, took time to love, because right then, I was where He needed to be! Thanks, God. You're perfect! I'm so blessed to be loved by You and all the beautiful people you put in my life. 




No comments:

Post a Comment