Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A Few of My Favorite Things: Nuns and Babies

"You know what this [the habit] does for me?
It allows me to hold babies, hold hands, and hold hearts.
I can listen to a person's story and simply say, 'I can't do much, 
but I can pray for you.' That's what I love."
- Sister Miriam George



     People are constantly telling me that I would be a good mother. I love that. Some people might think that it makes things awkward, but in reality, it doesn't. It confirms my whole life. Yes, I've had moments in my life where I dreamed of having six or seven babies of my own. But one time, my favorite English teacher in high school told me, "People may say you'd make a good mother, Bec, and they're right. But the truth is, to make a GREAT nun, you need to first make a good mother." What he meant was, a great Sister is maternal; she should make a good mother. If she wouldn't make a good mother, well than how else would she be able to love all those with whom she comes in contact? So, when people tell me I would make a good mother, I always say, "Well, I do love babies...everyone else's babies." It's true. If there was every a group of people I could possibly love more than the Sisters, it would be babies. 
     Last night at school, we had yet another "Tuesday with Dorothy." It was part two of a three part lecture series on Dorothy Day, civil rights activist, journalist AND most awesome woman of her time. Giving this talk was Brother Mickey, an oblate, an artist and a Camden resident. I have met Brother Mickey on many occasions and I was super excited to hear him talk about our girl, Dorothy. I was so excited with Sister Mary told about this talk, but my heart dropped when I found out it would take place during my class. Hoping that I could spread the love, I emailed my professor and asked if we could take a field trip. He denied the request, however, he gave me personal permission to go to the talk for a half hour if I reported back to the class some fun information. So, I did just that.
     Upon walking into the lecture hall, I saw many of my dear Sisters. I wasn't surprised actually, but it was a joyous shock to see so many of my dearhearts. As I was searching for a seat with easy exit access (so I wouldn't make a scene leaving halfway through), Sister Miriam George caught my attention. Now, there are multiple reasons why I love this woman, but one of the main reasons is because we share the same height. Yes, she is a fellow little person like me. Of course, I also love her for her prayerfulness, her undying love, her having adopted me her little sister (literally...that happened once), her literal jumping for joy when I share good news and her pure joy of life. I smiled as she waved me over to her seat, and I sat down next to her. Somehow, we started talking about habits.
      I'm not quite sure how the subject came up, but it was a good conversation. I told her how that idea had come up during lunch among the faculty members the other day and so we began sharing views. Here I was, talking to a woman in a full IHM habit, talking about what she was wearing. Thank goodness she didn't comment on my workout clothes, haha! I shared how I could easily see both views: wearing a habit and not wearing a habit. This simply came from my experiences with all types of communities; some who wear full habits and some who wear lay clothes. I can easily understand why a community of sisters wouldn't wear a habit (e.g. safety, to fit in more with the people, to not take away from ministry, etc.) and why a community would choose to wear a habit (e.g. symbolism, simplicity, vow of poverty, togetherness, etc.). Of course, as I was saying this, I made sure not to let my personal bias slip out (I am an English major after all...). So, when she asked my opinion, I was happy to give it. I told her the beauty I saw in a habit. I love the symbolism of it and the simplicity. I also mentioned how much I miss wearing my Naz Acad potato sack uniform. After I said that, she said the above quotation. I fell in love even more, especially when she said the part about the babies. 
      She told me this as she gently held my hand, telling me she was always praying for me, too. This I knew, of course, but she never fails to remind me that she is always, always, always praying for me. Wouldn't you know it, that as soon as we were finishing up our conversation, a woman with a baby walks into the room and sits down in front of us. First thing that happened after this? Sister George asks if she can see the baby. So open, so honest, so true. The young mom lifted the beautiful baby from her lap to show him off and not just Sister George was all googly eyes over the baby, but rather the entire room of Sisters suddenly turned their attention to the baby. Literally, all side conversations had stopped and every single Sister in the room turned to coo over the baby. I was in love. Not only was there a precious little 7 week old baby named Wesley in front of me, but all the Sisters around me were instantly ahhing over him. It was the cutest thing since I don't know when. 
      After a few minutes, Wesley went back to his mother's lap to rest. Sister George leaned over and said, "See?" and smiled. I couldn't help but laugh from pure joy. Soon enough, the presentation began and I didn't really get a chance to reflect on the NUNS AND BABIES event that had just happened, but I felt a peace in my heart as I listened to all the stories of women with young babies who were helped by Dorothy Day. It was beautiful. 
      Today, as I was driving back to school from home, I found myself stuck in standstill traffic. Yes, my friends, standstill traffic. I won't complain, but I will tell you that I literally sat in my car for an hour on the turnpike without moving an inch. After ten minutes, I turned my car off and turned the music on my phone on. But then after twenty minutes, my cell phone died. How was I to occupy myself? I couldn't talk to my neighbors because their windows were down and I really shouldn't be reading because traffic could move at any moment. So, I pulled out my rosary and began to pray. As I was praying, I reflected on last night's events of NUNS AND BABIES. I smiled, remembering my dreams and hopes for the future. 
      I always tell my friends and family that they all need to have multiple babies so I can play with them all at family parties. I have always had this dream of being that crazy Sister aunt who plays with the kids, sits at the kids table, and spoils them with hugs and kisses and lots of love. I have a goal of being the favorite aunt (as if it was obvious...as if that's even a questionable idea). I have often had the conversation with my cousin about being the babysitter for her children and the god-mother. Whenever there is a baby around, I will be holding him or her. My cousin assured me that there will be plenty pictures of Sister Becca holding babies. I always laugh when she says that. 
       As I prayed, I also reflected on Sister George's words. So many believe that being a Sister is a lonely life, that we can't really do much. But in truth, we can do so much more. Sisters can devote themselves to the poor, to the ones who need love. Sisters can stop at any moment to pray with a person, to hold their baby, to hold their hands, to hold their hearts. Sisters can love unconditionally. I thought of all the times I had tried to love unconditionally, how I have always looked on with a maternal love. And of course, I remembered all the Sisters who had looked upon me with those same maternal eyes filled with love and compassion. I prayed for all those who need love, who I have loved and who have loved me. Of course, I also prayed for my favorite English teacher in high school, who helped me discover that making a good mother is a beautiful thing, especially when it will help me be a great Sister. 


My "Daughter" is every person whom God is calling me on to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment