Sunday, October 6, 2013

You Know What I Love? Nuns.

"My Sisters remind me, by their very steadfastness, 
that truth, beauty, and goodness exist in the world, 
and that, no matter what, there are and always will be
people loving people through thick and thin."
- Kim Kardashian 


    I was in rare form tonight at Mass. Okay who am I kidding? I am never in rare form; it's a commonality to hear me laughing the moments before Mass starts because it is the realization of so much joy in my heart. However, there was a bit more spunk in my step (maybe it was my new shoes...) tonight and so after Mass, I hopped, skipped and jumped into the sacristy to see if Sister needed any help. Before I knew it, I was subtly being trained on sacristan duties and being shown where things belonged. Of course, Sister doesn't know this, but she gave me the little sister job in my house (long story short: the littlest sister doing the dishes always dries and puts away): drying! I instantly felt like a little sister. That moment of feeling like a loved little sister came just as I was being handed a towel and another Sister was telling me how much she misses me during morning Mass. Of course, this hasn't been the first time I've felt like a little sister recently. 
    In the past three weeks, I have gotten up before the sun to get ready for my day at school long before school starts. Yes, indeed 5am comes so early, but if you were my dad, you'd say : "About time you start working a real job." Except, sorry dad, it's just student teaching. However, I don't have to be in school until 7:30. So, what am I doing up at 5? Well, you see, I've been getting ready to join my motherhouse Sisters for Mass at 6:30 every morning. Okay, the disclaimer is this: I don't actually get out of bed until 5:30. My poor roommate has to hear me hit snooze three times. It's okay, she likes me enough. Anyway,so at 6:15, I begin the trek over to Mass with the Sisters who have literally taken me under wing. 
    Last weekend was a big weekend for me and many of the on campus Sisters were excited to see me achieve so greatly. Of course, after their messages of congratulations, there was a question of : "Where have you been at Mass? We miss you." I simply smiled and told them that the Motherhouse Sisters were taking care of me. I realized though that a lot of the Sisters didn't realize I was probably out student teaching (of course, I thought they all knew my entire life so....). So, I wrote them all a note, easing their broken hearts and told them to look forward to October 14th, Columbus Day, my only day off from school! My Sisters were missing me and I was feeling the love. For three years they have taken me under wing and suddenly, I have jumped nest. They perhaps are feeling the empty nesting syndrome. Haha, if only!
    In these past few weeks of feeling missed by my campus Sisters and feeling incredibly loved by the Motherhouse Sisters, I have only been able to count my blessings. Over and over I have heard the Sisters say how much they love having me over for Mass, that I should just get a room there (uhmm...let's work on this kay? I would never have to see 5am again...), or that they are proud. I have shared many successes, many trials and many pains with all these Sisters in recent weeks and I have experienced nothing but a continuously listening heart. I have been given more hugs than the average person needs a day (eight..for the record; the average person needs eight hugs a day.) but I guess I'm not an average person. I have been spiritually nourished and simply loved so much.
    But the love is mutual. Every day I thank God for the beautiful witness these lovely ladies show me. I am moved to tears each time I see one Sister look out in someway for another. Whether it's consoling one Sister who lost her best friend, giving one Sister an arm to lean on as she walks, Sisters hugging Sister friends, bands of Sisters laughing, rejoicing over the life of another, Sisters smiling at Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, Sisters being Sisters and loving every moment of it. These Sisters have shown me what it means to truly live for another, especially those closest to them. 
    This morning at Mass, a band* of Sisters got together to celebrate Mass in memory of a member of their band who passed away five years ago. There were three pews filled with Sisters of that band and suddenly, I felt this overwhelming peace. Despite the Sisters not having any descendents, children or grandchildren, seeing all those Sisters there, showed me that the Sisters become family to each other and each others' families adopt the others'. And suddenly, I realized how true this is in my own life. These Sisters have become my family and my family has become their's. I have become a little Sister in a family of Big Sisters. 
     Every day I am in wonder and awe of these beautiful women of God and I don't honestly know if it's possible to love them more. I am so grateful for them in my life. I feel so at peace in this very moment of my life, despite the craziness of student teaching, despite the chaotic class schedules, despite the HUGE amount of homework, and the lack of sleep, I feel so much peace. I know God is with me all throughout my day and I cannot thank Him enough. I surely am so beautifully blessed. 



* band - the group of women with whom a Sister enters the convent at the same time; other names include: group and party. 



No comments:

Post a Comment