Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I Got A Bid - One Rose Invitation

"Trust and trust alone should lead us to Love."
- St. Therese of Lisieux


     The countdown until the month of October, for me, is extremely intense. I cross off calendar blocks as if it's my job and the night before October 1, I can barely sleep. For me, the weeks leading up to the month of October is the same as for a little kid awaiting Christmas. October is my most favorite month of the whole year, and no, sorry Mary, it's not just because it's your birthday. Although, my life did change greatly on October 9, it's not the only reason why I love October. October 1st is in my top three favorite feast days of the saints of the year: St. Therese of Lisieux. The other two: St. Teresa of Avila (my spirit animal) and St. Katharine Drexel. These girls are my best friends and so from here on out will be referred to as Little T, Big T and Katie D. Feel free to call them by these nicknames as well. 
     This morning was one of the few mornings I've been able to leap out of bed at 5 am. Yes, friends, that's the early morning life of a student teacher. I was so excited after working behind the scenes with St. Therese last night, that I couldn't wait to get up and help deliver her special messages. I quickly got ready for school and then wrote a quick note to my lovely IHM Sisters at school who I have been missing so much (having to go out for Student Teaching means I don't get to join the on-campus Sisters for Mass every day...I miss them) before heading out the door. St. Therese asked that I deliver a few things to some certain people as a reminder of her love and guidance. Then, with two more roses in my hand, I got in the car and drove to the Motherhouse for Mass.
      A few days ago, I re-posted the Imagine Sisters' post about One Rose Invitation Day to the vocation directors in my life. In the style of St. Therese's Little Way, I wanted to participate and so that explains why I was helping out St. Therese last night and this morning. As I walked in the side door of the convent, I handed Sr. Rose her One Rose Invitation and we laughed as I told her, I think she might make a good Sister one day, that I'm praying for her and if she needs any help, I know of some great vocation directors she could talk to. We giggled as we searched the kitchen for something in which we could put the single rose. We scurried on to Chapel where right before entering through the doors, I saw Sister William Therese. Of course, I threw my hands in the air and greeted her with a bright and cheery "Good Morning, Sunshine. Happy Feast Day!" Hugging me, she said, "I'm so glad you come for Mass here; you make us all so happy." I couldn't help but smile.
     After sharing Mass together with my Motherhouse Sisters and greeting each Sister with a "Happy Feast Day!" I had enough time to join my Sisters in the Dining Room for some breakfast conversation. It was during this conversation that we brought up our own personal Therese stories and how she had touched each of us in a special way. Of course, we also brought up the One Rose Invitation. At this part of the conversation, Sister Rose mysteriously left the table and soon came back, placing a single rose in a vase in front of me on the table. Immediately tears started forming in my eyes. I had been so set on working behind the scenes with St. Therese and giving out my own One Rose Invitations that I never once thought, someone might give one to me. Of course, this giving of the rose resulted in a lot of cheering and awwing from the Sisters in the Dining Room. In sorority terms, ladies, I got a bid. 
     The One Rose Invitation is an initiative put forth by the Imagine Sisters campaign. The Imagine Sisters campaign works tirelessly to promote Vocations to the Religious Life for women. Their catch phrase reads: One Sister Can Change The World. Ain't it the truth? Today, October 1st, the feast day of St. Therese, who said when she died, she would send down a shower of roses to earth, is One Rose Invitation day. This means that anyone, after praying about it, can give a rose to a young woman who he or she thinks may make a beautiful Sister. The recipient of the rose can be someone who may have expressed interest in the religious life, might be steadily discerning, or may not have ever thought of religious life as an option before. Of course, I gave some roses to my Sisters...you know, just to confirm their vocations in case they were wondering. The giving of the rose is something simple to remind the recipients that those who are giving the roses are praying for them and their discernment. It's a simple, beautiful way to share prayer and the wonder of religious life.
     When I received my rose, it was a little more formal than how it may have been for many other young women today and when I thanked my Sisters, someone shouted: "So, do you think you might have a vocation, Bec?" I smiled and said: "I'm not quite sure...I should probably talk to a vocation director." We laughed and smiled as I had been discerning the religious life for so long and so many sisters know that joining a convent and a religious community is one my to do list from God. While I may not have needed a rose to confirm this, as the smiles of my Sisters every day confirm my vocation for me, it was a beautiful reminder that I am loved and thought of daily by these beautiful women who each had said yes to God so many years ago or so recently. 
     Not knowing where I was going to put my rose, since I had to school, I asked if I had to carry it around all day with me. One young novice said, "Yes, it's part of your process." My Sisters know that I often equate my joining of the convent to the joining of a sorority to make it easier for college students to understand. While my rose means nothing more than prayers and love and support from my sisters, it was almost as if they were saying, whenever you're ready, Bec. I got a bid. Of course, that's all up to God and where He wants me when He wants me. 
    I was so blessed to be able to do my share of working behind the scenes with St. Therese, sending One Rose Invitations to friends near and far and I was even more blessed to receive my own One Rose Invitation from my dear Sisters who truly know how to make waking up at 5 am worth it....every. single. day. Of course, I think my biggest blessing is knowing so many beautiful Sisters who have changed my world for the better. They had each in their own way changed my life so much that honestly, I have no idea where I'd be without them. I can't thank them enough for making one of my three favorite days of the year, a special one. Now here's to wondering what on earth they'll do for my number one girl, St. Teresa of Avila. Good news, they have a few days to plan ahead! 







No comments:

Post a Comment