Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Fire Drill Perks

"It was a sting operation by the nuns; 
they wanted the whole school to go to daily Mass."
- Mike Gallagher


     A daily morning for me: wake up at 6:15 am, take a shower, get dressed in the outfit I picked out the night before, brush my teeth, brush my hair, grab my Office book and head out the door. Today my morning consisted of waking up, taking a shower, getting dressed, brushing my teeth and running out the door as the fire alarm went off throughout the whole entire building. 
    People were strolling casually out of their rooms in their pajamas, house coats and bedroom slippers. Meanwhile, I was dressed and ready to go and yelling at my roommate to get out of bed. There are six fire exit doors in the building and the entirety of my building decided to go out ONE. Needless to say, while the building was "burning down," we were stuck at a standstill on the second floor staircase landing. Finally, my roommate and I didn't care about how many people just got up. Someone started screaming about the second fire escape door at the bottom of the staircase (which, when opened, signals another alarm which scared the daylights out of the freshmen). Finally, we all made it outside. One of the freshmen, who I just befriended during orientation, came up to me and asked how quickly I got dressed. One of my close friends corrected her by saying, "The right question to ask her is how long she's been up..." We all laughed. Of course, we had to jump on the Twitter hashtag bandwagon and say, "Daily Mass Goer Perks." Then I started to think of all the perks of our early morning fire drill. 
    If you know me, you know that I'm always trying to find the positive points of an event. So, as we were all standing outside (in the rain, mind you), I started listing the perks of this fire drill. One: No one can be late for class today since the alarm went off at 6:45. Two: We all now know that are SIX fire escape doors. Three: We are all comfortable with each other's pajama habits. Four: We all got our "showers" outside in the rain. Five: I got to Mass on time. 
    Ok, so now that we have those listed, I must explain that every time we have a fire drill here, we try to figure out who made a stupid move to set off the alarm. Some of the past stupid moves were not putting water in pasta in the microwave, leaving the hot straightening iron on and having a space heater under the sink. So as all the freshmen were regretting their decision to come to a school that has fire drills at the crack of dawn, the upper classmen like myself were trying to figure out what set the alarm off. Some of the excuses I heard were: oatmeal in the new microfridges, a curling iron, the new alarm clock system for the freshmen, it was Jesus trying to wake me up (thanks to my good friend, Matt) and the best, by far, was stated by my best friend, Mike, "It's a sting operation put on by all the nuns to get the whole school to go to Mass with Becca." Yep, THAT  IS EXACTLY why we had a fire drill this morning. 
     The true life matter is, no one knows what set the alarm off this morning, but it was definitely NOT a drill. There were a few nuns in their pajamas this morning, too, along with the entirety of my building. The true life matter is that we need to constantly find the perks of upsetting situations because if we don't, we'll spend our life miserable. We have to learn how to laugh at the surprises God throws at us. And we have to accept everyone, regardless of their nightgowns, boxer shorts or bathrobes. Yep, there are perks to fire drills and so many other things in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment