Saturday, August 11, 2012

Poverty, Chastity, And Obedience - Take One

"Ecce Ancilla Domini, Fiat mihi secundum verbum tuum.
Ecce regnum Dei intra vos est."
- Profession Cross of the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth

      When I think of these words, instantly memories flood my heart and soul. Ever since I "officially" started discerning, over five years ago in my Sophomore year of high school (this was the first 'discernment' weekend), these words have been a part of me. As high school students we were sent on a scavenger hunt throughout the entire convent and the outside surroundings. A series of questions such as "What is S. Michele's license plate number?" (I can't remember!), "What is the statue of Mary missing out front?" (her thumb), "What is S. Jeanette's charge?" (keeping the candy dish filled...still have yet to find that), and "What are the words inscribed on the sisters' crosses and rings?" (see above). With energy and determination, my best friend, Brianna, and I went in search of the answers only to have the last question answered by our dear S. Terri. I remember later that night reflecting on her story (I was to soon learn that she always had a story) of her cross. I was in awe of the love of which she spoke, truly speaking about the love of her life. Her eyes were filled with sparkle and love for this Jesus who she loved so much. "Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done to me according to Your Will. The Kingdom of God is within you," she said as she reflected on her own first profession of vows. To this day, that memory, the memory of the first time I ever heard those words, remains in my heart. 
      Now, today, I have a new memory to go along with those beautiful words. I was (and am still) so blessed to be a part of my dear friend, Sister Maria Sophia's, discernment and vocation journey. I can remember the days when I barely knew her and I find it so shocking that today, I was crying as I was hugging her, congratulating her and telling her how proud I was of her. From being that shy Geometry substitute teacher who barely spoke a word outside of the classroom, she has become one of my best friends, constantly bubbling with words of wisdom for me in my own discernment. She has come far from being the woman who calmed my tears and fears about Chemistry and has become an inspiration for me, a reason to "plow through" those tough times of discernment, and a beacon of hope for my own future. And today, I was so blessed to be present at her First Vow Profession during which she received her black veil and her profession cross, and professed the vows of poverty, chastity and obedience. 
       The ceremony was absolutely beautiful. I cried multiple times, at her literal profession, at her thank you speech, at her uncle's homily during which he said, "God sends us. Let us go wherever He sends us knowing that you and I may be the perfect person for the person we are being God for," and so much more. I could not help but smile the entire time at the beauty of it all! And to have my little sister right next to me, having just as big a smile, made the day so much better! Everything from the words spoken, to the songs sung, to the family and friends, was perfect! 
       After the ceremony, the traditional lunch was served and I sat surrounded by so many of my dear Sisters and sister! It was so great to see the beautiful, happy, smiling faces of so many who have been in the same position before, and so many faces looking forward to their special day! I was surrounded by sisters I had never met (though there were few...success!) and plenty of sisters who consider me the "little sis." Even though I love all my sisters so greatly, I was so excited to see my Chicago-ites for the first time since February (I sincerely miss that place). There were plenty of hugs and kisses and words of wisdom to go around, and both my little sister and I had our share of the popularity. My little sister, obviously because she's cute and adorable and precious. And me? Well, I'm Becca....everyone knows Becca apparently! But really, seeing and celebrating with everyone truly warmed my heart. It made me anxious and excited for my day, whenever God chooses that day for me! 
        Until then, however, congrats Sister Maria Sophia on your First Vows! May God truly watch over you! I'm so proud of you, my big sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment