Saturday, December 8, 2012

IHM for the Day - Feast Day

"Almighty and eternal God I renew and confirm with all my heart, the vows of chastity, poverty and obedience, which I made at my profession, and I implore your grace to accomplish them perfectly. May my life be one of faithful love, may it reflect my total dependence on you, may my will be your will alone. In imitation of Jesus and Mary, I make my prayer forever."
- IHM Renewal of Vows, December 8, 2012


     Every school has something they are proud of. Perhaps it's a football team. Maybe it's a music group. It could even be outstanding academics. For Immaculata, we are proud of Feast Day. Every single year, on December 8, we celebrate the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. Every year we have off from school, a big Mass and a huge feast in the cafeteria afterwards. Every year, it is my favorite day. But for one reason other than the reasons I've already listed. Every year, the IHM sisters renew their vows in front of us, the students and faculty. And every year, it melts my heart.
     Like we always do, the "choir" embraced their inner nerd and planned coordinating outfits. Of course, what other colors than blue and white would we wear? The sisters' habits are blue and white and so, it's their HUGE feast day. Of course we have to match them. So, I donned my "nun" dress and my "nun" sweater, and my "nun" shoes. Yep, I was blue and white from head to toe. It was great. 
     So much of today was perfect. I was blessed to work with my favorite piano nun, Sister Regina. I was blessed to sing with my friends. I was blessed to once again give voice to the Magnificat. I was blessed be able to share hugs and kisses and "Happy Feast Days" with my sisters. I am blessed to have so many beautiful relationships with the sisters that I am more than a student. I have somehow assumed the role of little sister. So, when I came bustling into Chapel this morning proclaiming "Happy Feast Day" the sisters could only laugh and open their arms for hugs. 
      So many students attended Mass, so of course a smile was brought to my face. And even more students partook in the feast downstairs. And while it was truly great to see my peers in such happiness, I couldn't help but think of my sisters and how blessed they probably felt. For some of them, so many years have passed since their day of final profession. For others, it is a memory so close. But for all of the sisters, it was a moment in their lives they could never forget. The final "I do" to Christ. The final, "Ok, hun, let's do this." And it was the first of many, "I'm Yours. Only Your will, oh God." Every single year, when I hear the sisters renew their vows, I cry. I can't help it. I literally have such tears of joy and happiness in my eyes and rolling down my face. I feel so blessed to witness this moment. And I couldn't help but think that in a few years (well...a long time actually), I could be standing there with my sisters, too. But instead of listening, I'll be proclaiming my renewal right alongside them. How wonderful!
      In the Cafeteria, after Mass, there were people everywhere. Essentially, it's the most crowded the caf ever is. Even the sisters were having a hard time finding a seat. But alas, they did. There was such joy and fellowship surrounding us and I couldn't help but finally let my heart float free on God's good graces. As I wished each of the sisters Happy Feast once again, each had a hug for me. And I had one for them. Some even had a few words for me or something else tucked under the sleeve. One sister in particular, well instead of hugging me, she kissed the air in my direction and unknowingly tickled my elbow. (I am the only person in the world, I'm convinced who is ticklish on her elbow). I had to laugh! 
     I love them each in my own way. The sisters at school are literally the most unique collaboration of sisters I have ever seen. From Arts and Drama to Psychology and Education, they each have special gifts to offer. Especially when I interact with them. Some always have kind words, others tease me as only a big sister could, and others, well, they know my heart so well. I am so blessed. I am so, so, so blessed to have my sisters here. 

Happy Feast Day, friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment