Saturday, December 22, 2012

Lessons and Carols from Miss Peg

"The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to here."
- Elf

Us.............Miss Peg
(I couldn't help myself)
     My school friends think that once I come home, I have no life. My home friends think that I have no life at school. They are two separate worlds and yet so alike. In both, contrary to former belief, I am a crazy, busy, always running around person. I sometimes tell people that's how I got my curly...from going crazy and never coming back!! Regardless of whether I am at school or at home, I always have a place to be or people to see or things to do. But in the words of my dear friend, Sister Rose, "It's all healthy involvement and you are young." 
     As soon as I got home from school, Lizzie and I started preparing for our second year in Lessons and Carols at St. Charles Borromeo in New Jersey. Our first practice was Sunday, but since Mary was performing in her school concert, we could only stay a little while. Practice was held again on Tuesday and Wednesday for two hours each. And then a half hour drive home for the PA duo. The actual Lessons and Carols night was held Friday night. You know, the night of the supposed "end of the world." Let me tell you, that as sick as I was feeling some nights, (I'm slowly coming down with a cold of sorts...my rudolph nose can prove it), Lessons and Carols is one of my favorite nights of the year. 
     We sing as a choir about 25 religious, Christmas songs each emulating a specific "lesson" of the Bible. The lessons are nine readings beginning with Genesis and ending with the Gospel of Luke and the birth of our Lord. There are nine different readings with two songs for each one. For an auditory learner like me, the music really brings the lessons to my heart. Not to mention, with everyone's voices combined, the music sounded beautiful. Enough to bring my Daddy to tears. The lessons and carols night makes Christmas real for me. It gives excitement to the anticipation of Christmas Eve.
     Like I mentioned, this was the second year for me and Lizzie to participate in the choir for Lessons and Carols. As much as I loved the music and the faith and the spirituality of the night, there was so much from God in this years Lessons and Carols for me. And that mostly has to do with Miss Peg, our director and an angel sent to earth from Heaven.
      Miss Peg, while teaching us the music and the lessons, whether she knew it or not, had a whole other agenda of lessons up her sleeves. She taught me so many more lessons that just the nine Biblical lessons that have become part of my heart forever. And so, since Miss Peg blessed my life with such beautiful lessons, I figured I would then share them with you. 

Lesson #1 : God is the source of all talent and we must give Him thanks. Pray always. 
Miss Peg would sometimes randomly interrupt our practices just to pray. I loved that so much. 

Lesson #2 : Never forget that you can do it if you really try!
Miss Peg gave me a duet and I was terrified. But my Friday night I really felt confident. Seeing her encouraging wink in the middle of the song really helped me believe in myself.

Lesson #3 : Children are truly a gift from God.
The relationship between Miss Peg and my little Lizzie is one of the most beautiful things in the world. Lizzie loves Miss Peg because Miss Peg treats Lizzie not as a child but as a human gift from God; as a real person. She is a little person.

Lesson #4 :  In the last moment of panic, remember to lift up your worry to God. He will take care of you.
We had a really difficult piece to sing this year "O Magnum Mysterium" and I could tell Miss Peg was so nervous for it as we stood to sing it for the congregation. However, right before she began conducting, she closed her eyes and in her heart, lifted up the worry to God. It was the best we had ever sung the song.

and

Lesson #5 : Have patience in all things, especially with oneself (borrowed from St. Francis de Sales).
Miss Peg has the patience of a saint. I admire that. I really wish I had as much patience as she did. It's hard to conduct family members and friends, but she did it with such patience. Of course, she, too, had patience with herself. That is the most admirable.

      Miss Peg has so much wisdom and while I barely know her, while I only see her once a year, she has made a lasting impact on my life. I am so blessed by her presence in my life...even if most of the time it's only on Facebook. I truly do thank God for not only the night of Lessons and Carols, but the lessons and carols from Miss Peg. Thanks God, for always blessing me with those who I need so desperately in my life. Thanks for giving me the hope I needed this Christmas through Miss Peg. Thank you!     

Here's a taste of what you would have heard last year at Lessons and Carols!

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said! (And beautifully sung Friday--you did an excellent job on your duet. I am so grateful that Peg shares her gifts by bringing together this amazingly talented ensemble each year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! Also, thanks for helping little Lizzie out with her pages! You did wonderfully yourself! We are blessed!

      Delete