Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas Week, Carol Night, and Cotillion, OH MY!

    There is nothing more that I love than tradition. OK, well maybe traditions with nuns. Christmas has always been a time of tradition in my family; however, not the same traditions. When I was little we had the tradition of going to the convent for Christmas Eve Mass (I'm bringing that back this year!) and then going to my Dad's parents' house Christmas Day. Now, it's Mass at my own parish on Christmas Eve and my Mom's brother's house the day after. The few traditions that have stayed are decorating the Christmas tree with each other (they wait for me to come home from school) and going to downtown Philadelphia to see Dicken's village, the Christmas Light Show, and the Christmas Villages. Last year, however, we started a new tradition: Carol Night. 
     Now what is that, you ask? It's a night when the Chorale and all the students at our school gather in the rotunda around the Christmas tree that reaches to the second floor. Family and friends are welcome, too, as well as all the sisters from EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!! We all sing Christmas Carols, we pray together, and there is a procession of the Baby Jesus from the Chapel to His Manger in front of the tree. It is one of the most beautiful and longest standing traditions we have at school. I love it. This year, my Dad and my littlest sis came to visit and I could hear her voice from the floor above me. She could see me directly and was sending my hand signals and mouthing words to me during the whole performance. The best part is that I understood everything she was trying to say. Our connection is deeper than that of sisters; she is my soulmate. 
     After Carol Night, the next tradition in Christmas Week is Cotillion. It is the semi-formal winter ball and almost everyone comes out for it. Since my class (the class of 2014) was running the show, I got roped into helping set up for one more thing. It was beautiful, I must say. With lights and arts and crafts and snowflakes and mistletoe and streamers, it brought so much excitement to my heart. All the girls got ready in my room in a cloud of perfume, hairspray and Christmas music while the boys simply threw on the shirts and ties and were good to go. We had a ball, dancing our night away until it came time for us to stand back and watch the rest of our schoolmates embarrass themselves slightly. 
    And now, onto finals week. Here's to hoping we all survive! 




No comments:

Post a Comment