Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Resolutions...So Cliche

    New Year's Eve; a night to party, watch fireworks, be with family and...make resolutions. New Year's, as one of my favorite holidays, has always fascinated me. When I was younger, I was never allowed to stay up. But as I got older and started participating in the festivities, I was intrigued at all the traditions and history. Did you know that Christians used to celebrate New Year's Eve on Christmas Eve? And then later they moved it to March 25, the Annunciation? Did you know that in many countries, people don't exchange gifts until New Year's Eve as a symbol of abundance for the new year? And how about this one: People won't eat meat that used to fly, like Turkey or Chicken, because your luck supposedly flies out the window with it. In the US, a big tradition is the New Year's Kiss. Now, apparently, it's not just for all those romantics but rather for everyone. A simple kiss on the cheek to your loved ones symbolizes purity and love for the new year. And all along, I thought it was just another excuse from Grandmom to hug and kiss all her grandkids. And then finally, there's New Year's Resolutions. They stem from a Christian tradition of evening Mass where the congregation would state their prayers for the New Year. I wonder if all those celebrities know they are promoting the church? Ha ha. No, but seriously, that makes sense to me. As Christians, Catholics, we so often pray to God for good things to happen. And so, in curiosity, I googled what the top ten New Year Resolutions were...to see if maybe I could use them as my New Year's Eve prayer. This is what I found:
                         1. Drink Less Alcohol (too bad I'm only 19...oh darn)
                         2. Eat Healthy Food (ok, ok...good idea.)
                         3. Get A Better Education (too bad I'm already in College)
                         4. Get A Better Job (but I like working for the nuns)
                         5. Get Fit and Lose Weight (I like my body image, thank you)
                         6. Manage Debt and Stress (thanks, Sally Mae, for managing my debt into a million monthly payments; thank you, Sisters, for helping me manage stress with retreats)
                         7. Quit Smoking (too bad I don't smoke)
                         8. Take A Trip (Woohoo Jamaica and New Orleans!)
                         9. Volunteer More (Woohoo Jamaica and New Orleans!)

     Ok, so these didn't really help me. So, during Mass this morning, I conjured up my own list of resolutions:
                         1. Ask God for the chances to use my gifts and to use them for the sole benefit of others.
                         2. Ask God for the stamina to work hard this semester.
                         3. Spend more time with God in Adoration. 
                         4. Ask God for the opportunities to bring others closer to Him.
                         5. Ask God for the strength to never judge a book by its cover so that I may serve the Jesus in every person.
                         6. Ask God for to opportunities to practice gentility, humility, and patience (be less bold and sassy)
                         7. Ask God for the opportunities to serve my family and those I love.
                         8. Ask God for the protection or and opportunities to serve all people, especially the unborn, the less fortunate, the outcast and the hopeless.
                         9. Ask God for the opportunities to spread happiness and joy.
                                                                   And Finally
                        10. Ask God for the patience in waiting for His word to continue my Vocation journey and  the opportunities to serve Him now according to that vocation. 
  
     Now, how's that for a list? Here's to a blessed New Year for you, your family and your loved ones :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment