Friday, December 30, 2011

We Are Family

Current Facebook Status: Can't wait to make pancakes with my AE for Holy Family Day.
Current Tweet: Blogging it up about the Holy Family #yourhomeismyhome

   I have decided that there is no better way to celebrate a feast day than with the community who celebrates it. I've done it on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and now, on the Feast of the Holy Family. It just so happened that the sister who runs a summer retreat program every year (this year, I got to help!), invited us all back for the Feast; Mass and visiting and Breakfast. And so, at 8:30 I found myself en route to the convent; a drive I don't have to think about; my heart just takes me there.
   As I walked into the Chapel where we spent every morning of our retreat, even as a student helper-outer, so many memories came flooding back. Especially of our last day when tears streamed down my face after knowing in my heart that this is where I belonged; among this family. As the sisters prayed and I knelt listening to their voices, I recalled those moments of pure comfort. I joined those memories with thoughts of the Holy Family. Mary, Joseph and Jesus; all they had were each other. When I'm with the sisters; all I have is them. I don't have any worries, no anxieties, nothing at all. They are my family.
    My reflection on the Holy Family continued with Father's homily during which he said, "Just as Mary, Joseph and Jesus had themselves as family, we must take each one of our sisters as family. We must feel like family here." And yes, as tears built up in my eyes, I knew; these sisters are my family. I am treated like family; like the little sister. And no matter what part of the community I visit, I feel loved like family.
   After Mass, we went upstairs to visit the older sisters who can not necessarily join us for Mass whether from age or sickness. We sang Christmas carols for them which made my heart leap for joy. I hadn't sung in a while and when one of my favorite sisters requested my favorite Christmas song, I almost cried. I sang for her with my friends and the other sisters with us with all my hear. Seeing the sisters smile at our quick little visits was enough for me to know, once again, how perfect I felt there.
    After Mass and visiting, the sisters and the other girls and I went over to make breakfast which consisted of the most deluxe pancake bar I had ever seen. There was fruit, chocolate chips, cinnamon, sugar. You name it, we put it in our pancakes. As we cooked and worked together, it was easy for me to imagine what it would be like five, ten, twenty years down the line cooking together with these sisters and with the girls that I taught in school. It was easy to feel right at home and among family.
    The whole spent celebrating the Feast with the sisters was so perfect. While it was a smaller celebration for us, it was still a celebration of the family we have become and the family I've made with the sisters. And so, as I reflect on the HOLY FAMILY, I am grateful and ever blessed for the holy family I have among me. How many more years, AE?

No comments:

Post a Comment