Thursday, December 15, 2011

Let's Go Fly A Kite...

    My first thought when I walked (well, really it was ran because I was late for work by five minutes), was, it's a perfect day to fly kites. Now, the everyday college student wouldn't fly a kite on campus on their day off, but for me and my friends, we do it all the time. A few months ago, I bought two kites off Amazon for the sole purpose of creating spectacles and new trends. And so, because I now had kites in my possession, I decided, for the third time this year, we were going to fly them today. 
   Now, the wind here was gustier than the average wind on the noble, holy hill, which was great for instant air. We were testing out the new spool of string that gives 500 feet of distance when I handed the kite over to an amateur kite flyer. Every so often I would hear him freak out about how he didn't know what to do and I simply told him to let it roll out. Finally, he got the hang of it. When I looked up after trying to get the other kite in the air, the kite was flying straight over the building. Our other friend casually mentioned, "If that kite gets stuck in Mary's halo, I'm running away." I agreed. Any tomfoolery with Mary on the dome is like a mortal sin. Instant expulsion or instant graduation, I'm not too sure. But anyway, we laughed it off. 
   Next thing I know, our friend with the 500 feet of string is freaking out. The kite just dipped behind the other side of the building. So, I took it and started rolling it back in. But then, it got stuck. Stuck on what? We couldn't tell. It was on the other side of the building. So, he ran around the building to find it stuck on the tree, NOT Mary's halo (PRAISE GOD!). So after fighting with it and fighting with it, we decided to just cut the string and let the little kite remain perched up in the tree while the string remains draped over the roof of Villa East. Within minutes the news spread and we have officially made history. Now let's hope that our President doesn't find out it was us.....
    It made me think though, how does this apply to my life? It's like Adam and Eve were the kite and the string was the connection to God. However, at the fall (getting stuck in the tree), they cut themselves off from God who held the spool. While we aren't puppets or kites on strings that God maneuvers according to His desire, we so often cut ourselves off the spool. We cut ourselves off the lifeline to God. All because got stuck in a tree. I'm hoping that next time I get stuck in a tree, I'll remember my metaphor and remember not to cut the string but instead allow God to keep pulling at me until I untangle from the branches. 





No comments:

Post a Comment