Sunday, July 1, 2012

Are You Willing to Ride The Coaster With Me?

"I always feel like I'm on a roller coaster, but I never want to get off. There's a certain high you're always on."
- Leonardo DiCaprio


     Many of you have heard the metaphor, "Life is a roller coaster," or, "I've been on an emotional roller coaster." As a young kid, I always loved roller coasters. I loved the thrill of buckling in and of speeding up the initial slope and going at super fast speeds. As I got older, I ventured to those upside-down coasters and eventually, even the ones that go backwards at high speeds. I absolutely loved roller coasters and I still do. There is something so thrilling about going at high speeds over bumps and through twists and turns, upside-down and backwards. Most of the time, I could easily throw my hands up in the air and let go freely, knowing that I was strapped in for the ride. The feeling of flying through the air, with the wind in my hair and my wings spread was amazing. However, there were some roller coasters as a kid that sometimes I would have to hold onto because I didn't weigh enough to be held down or I was scared and reached out to hold the hand of one next to me. 
      My love of roller coasters can easily be adapted to my discernment. Discernment of any kind is an emotional and spiritual roller coaster, especially when applied to my discernment of religious life. There are so many instances where I might feel overjoyed and then spiritually neglected. There are days when I can only smile beamingly because of how aware of God I am or days when all I want to do is cry. There are days when I feel like I am so ready for this life and days when I just want to give up. Yes, it is very obviously a roller coaster ride for me. For some, discernment is a straight and easy ride, but because God knows how much I love roller coasters, He is sure taking me on the ride of my life. You see, many people don't like the emotional roller coasters and yet, I am at peace with the roller coaster of my life. 
      Now, aside from my love of roller coasters, there is something else we must think about: who is on this roller coaster with me? Some people truly dislike roller coasters or they cannot ride the coaster but while they won't/can't ride with me, they'll be waiting at the end of the ride or cheering me on from the queue or taking my picture as I ride. Some people love roller coasters just as much as I do and are more than willing to the ride the coaster with me. These are the people who are willing to put their hands up right next to me, or hang on for dear life when life gets scary. Finally, there are the people who will ride with me but with hesitation. They are more scared to ride the coaster than I am. You see, I can't force people to ride the emotional roller coaster of my discernment, but I can invite my family and friends to ride. Some may ride and some may "sit this one out." Either is ok. It's comforting to know that there are some willing to ride and others willing to cheer me on. Regardless of who is with me, I am at peace knowing that my discernment will not be an easy and smooth ride; it will certainly be a roller coaster of the most extreme. Are you willing to ride with me?

2 comments:

  1. I am on that roller coaster with you right now for sure! It is one heck of a ride - woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Success for riding buddies :) Throw your hands in the air, my friend

      Delete