Monday, March 12, 2012

Embracing Our Inner Velma...A Story About Blindness

"But I can't see without my glasses!" - Velma, Scooby-Doo

     I'm sure we've all seen an episode of Scooby-Doo where Velma loses her glasses; she was always losing them. Frantically, she would crawl on the floor searching for them, when they were right in front of her eyes. Like Velma, I, too, am always losing my glasses. Sometimes, I take them to the shower room with me and leave them on the shower shelf, or other times, I'll put them on the window sill instead of my desk before bed, or sometimes they are right on top of my head. One of my boyfriends once said that I always reminded him of Velma when I lose my glasses, because I simply can't see to find them. Ever since he said that, I've always felt like Velma when I lose my glasses.
     And that is exactly what happened to me on Sunday. I had worn my glasses while driving to pick up my sister from church. I came home and went to wash my hair, somewhere between my bedroom and the bathroom, putting my glasses down. After washing, brushing and styling my hair, and doing my make-up, I sat down on my bed searching for my glasses. They were no where to be found. I looked on the shelf, the sink in the bathroom, the dining room table and my bed once again. But still nothing. Now essentially, without my glasses, I am blind. Not literally, but basically everything around me is fuzzy. So me looking for my glasses was pointless because even if they were right in front of my face, I wouldn't have been able to find them. I was down on my hands and knees searching, when my little sister came upstairs to help me look. When we couldn't find them, she went downstairs to enlist our middle sister and mom to help but to no avail. Finally, Daddy came to the rescue. He went into my room and after a little bit of searching had found them fallen behind the shelf. 
     What sounds like a simple journey of searching for the glasses was actually a catastrophe. For whatever reasons, I had a meltdown, I had been kneeling on the floor, bawling my eyes out in hysterics when my Dad came to help. Any other day I wouldn't have broken down and cried over losing my glasses, but for whatever reason the fact that I wasn't being helped in my blindness really upset my subconscious. I couldn't see and I couldn't drive AND I had to leave the house in five minutes. But in my distress, my Daddy come home just in time to find my glasses. 
      While I was at Mass, I really began to reflect on my blindness. I couldn't see, therefore everything in my life was halted for about a half hour (yes, that's how long it took!). Yet, how many times have I been spiritually blind and carried on? I knew I couldn't drive without my glasses because I would have gotten into an accident. But how many times have I driven in a spiritual blindness only to get into a spiritual accident? We are often so blind when it comes to recognizing God and His goodness in our lives. Sometimes we choose not to see and other times we simply are blinded by so much distraction that we lose sight of God. When I lost my glasses, I had a meltdown. But when we are blinded from God, we often do not break down right away. In distress, yes, we cry out for God, but initially, no. The truth is, all of us suffer from blindness at some point. If we could only become like Velma, and get down on our knees when we become blind and search frantically for the sight of God. 
       Now, once I was on my hands and knees, crying hysterically over my "blindness," my daddy came to the rescue to find my glasses. How many times have we had someone "open our eyes"? Not only did my Daddy and my little sister help me physically find sight again, but they are often ones who help my spiritual blindness, as well. Who are the people in your life that help find your sight of God again?
      Everyone suffers from blindness at some point. When we find ourselves blinded, we must fall to our hands and knees to find our sight again. And just when we have almost given up hope of finding sight, someone will come around to find your glasses. 




No comments:

Post a Comment