Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Where Everybody Knows Your Name...Home

     As my days at home usually are, this was another busy, busy day of running here, there and everywhere. First, of course, was Mass at my Parish! It was a long day ahead of me after that with a visit to my high school with so many of the baked goods my sister and I made all weekend and then a visit to my older and sick sisters and THEN a doctor's appointment and THEN the concert! Visiting my high school was perfect; always a welcome home into loving arms. With every new person I saw in the hallway, I was greeted with an outburst of happiness and a hug! While many still say it's as if I've never left, and it's true, there was a part of me that felt like it's been entirely too long. However, there is a personal philosophy of mine that whenever I come home, I visit all my homes: my high school and all the convents! It is such an amazing feeling to be welcomed into loving arms. It's a scary thought that the teachers still talk about me to their students and yet, it helps me realize that I've left a legacy. 
      Visiting the sick and older sisters always brings a light of warmth to my heart. Especially when I walk in, and once again am greeted with hugs and love from all of them. First, that alone is a miracle. The second is that they remember my face and name. And then, that they know exactly why I need prayers; my vocation, of course! They are always willing to take my hand, sit, chat and tell me so many stories. No matter how they are feeling, they have time for me! AND they are always praying for me! As I was leaving, after sharing many beautiful moments with the sisters there, I decided that every time I come home, I have to visit there, as well, since I visit all the other convents in the area :)
      As for the doctor's appointment, pray for me. I have an MRI on Thursday which will tell me whether or not I tore something in my knee. COOL! NOT!
      Now finally, the concert at my high school. Let's talk about perfection! I snuck up to the choir loft with a few of the sisters...not that they cared. I was so privileged to sit next to the first sister I ever told about thinking about the convent. The best part was that a few years ago we had gone to a neighboring parish to see Tajci and now there we were again, listening to her beautiful voice! I would love to do what Tajci does: change hearts, one song at a time. I was so excited to listen to all of her Lenten music, all of which I could have easily sung along with. I couldn't help though, but sit back, close my eyes, open my hands and pray with her words of song. They were simply so beautiful! And just like how I never want to stop singing when I'm praising the Lord, she didn't either. When she started to sing "Awesome God" the sisters and I started dancing in the Choir Loft. Tajci asked someone to sing with her and one of my wonderful little sisters did. I was so proud, I started crying. And then again when all my little chorale sisters sang "River in Judea" (our classic) with Tajci. It was just so beautiful. 
     Toward the end of the concert, Sister turned to me, gave me a big hug and said that she was so glad I was there. But it wasn't there, as in the building, but rather in her life. In response, I told her that I am more than blessed to have her. I couldn't help but take her hand and squeeze it. She is such a beautiful, simple and humble woman who I constantly attempt to model my life after. I have no idea where I would be without her, simply because she was the first person I ever told about my vocation. She led me to all the right people, those who love me so dearly, and also without whom I would be so lost. Sharing that night with my sister, my dear, dear sister, was a night I needed. We were connected in prayer and in music. 
     And even though we are far apart most times, I must always remind myself that, "The closest we will ever be is inside each other's hearts." 

No comments:

Post a Comment