Friday, March 9, 2012

Suffering from Amnesia....We All Do It

 Amnesia - noun. a partial or total loss of memory.

    Oh thank you, Webster's Online Dictionary for clarifying! How many of us walk into a room and cannot remember why, only to walk out and remember, to perhaps going back in and forgetting again? Or how many times have we reminded ourselves to do something and yet, we forget? Or how many of us have locked keys in the car? Or forgot to turn on the stove and then wondered why the water was taking so long to boil? Or maybe forgot to grab those directions off the printer before we ran out to the party in no man's land? Or maybe forgot to finish those last three questions on the homework sheet? No matter what we've forgotten, we've all forgotten something. And so, we've all suffered from some form of amnesia.
     But today, I'm not thinking about the typical amnesia. I'm talking about spiritual Amnesia. I'm somewhat stealing this from my Pastor's homily this morning, however, I don't think he will mind. Actually, he just mentioned Amnesia and really this is my spin on it. There are a few types of Spiritual Amnesia, and no it's not...I forgot it was a Friday in Lent and grabbed a hamburger from McDonald's on my lunch break. Rather it's forgetting that God is always with us and forgetting how good we are because of how much He loves us. 
     As I was describing to one of my fellow Parishioners today, God is always with us. I told her that even at the moment when we were standing there, He was there. And when I am walking alone, God is with me. Therefore, I talk. I talk with God as if I am walking with a friend, thanking Him for His beauty, telling Him about how nervous I am about my upcoming test, asking if He's talked with my sisters lately, etc. Yet, how so often we suffer from amnesia when we are walking alone? How often do we forget God in our daily activities? How often do we simply, forget God? Even I, myself, am guilty. Just yesterday when I locked the keys in the car, I forgot God was with me when I prayed, "Where are you, God, in this moment? Where?" 
     And then, we forget how good we are because of His love. We forget how much He wants to be a part of our lives with His love, and we forget how good we actually are. When we are filled with His love, we can be nothing but good people. We are vessels of His love for others, too. And yet, when we think about it, really, truly reflect on His love...how is it possible that we could forget? How could we suffer from such amnesia?
     We are constantly faced with so many reasons to forget God: we are busy, we have too many classes to attend, we need more sleep, we are just constantly on the run. We'd forget our heads if they weren't attached, right? And so, right up there with all the other things we forget, we forget God, too. And yet, in addition to being able to get a Heart Transplant this Lent, by giving God ours in exchange for his, we can also work on our own personal remedy for Amnesia. The truth is, we can easily make a constant effort to remember God. Just as we remind ourselves daily to grab that textbook for class, or the lunch box off the table, we can remind ourselves to remember God. And much sooner than later, remembering God will be just as easy as remembering to brush our teeth!

     And just for kicks, here is one of my favorite songs from Sr. Amnesia from Nunsense. A little rough humor, but good. So you wanna be a nun....

   

No comments:

Post a Comment