Saturday, March 17, 2012

Luck of the Irish, They Say

"Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there. I do not sleep.

I am the thousand winds that blow.

I am the diamond glints on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.

I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you waken in the morning's hush,

I am the swift uplifting rush
Of gentle birds in circling flight.
I am the soft star that shines at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry—

I am not there. I did not die."



     My favorite Holiday is Thanksgiving, because it brings all families together. My second favorite holiday is St. Patrick's Day, because it brings my heritage together. I am only a portion Irish, because of my Daddy's Mother, Bea. When you look at me and my features, some may say I look Italian, some say German, some say Swedish. I think I look the most Irish, with my fair skin and dark, curly hair. I had always wanted to learn how to Irish Dance, and Michael Flately was my favorite dancer. I love to sing the traditional Irish church hymns, like "Christ Be Before Me" and "Lord of All Hopefulness." I like to think that if Bea was still alive, I would spend so much time with her in her kitchen learning how to make her favorite dishes and there are days when I can't wait to get to Heaven to meet her. After going to Mass this morning and singing with the crazy hype Irish nuns, my favorite hymns, I stood in the kitchen channeling my inner Bea while rolling Irish Potatoes and listening to Irish Drinking Music. Of course, every so often, the Celtic Women would come on and I would dance. Good thing it was only ten in the morning and no one was up to watch me embarrass myself. In Twenty minutes I had made about 60 potatoes in addition to the ones I did yesterday. I found myself wishing for the comfort of the Annual St. Patty's Day Parade in my neighboring city and for my little sister who would have loved rolling potatoes. I found myself wishing I could carry my voice in Celtic song like the beautiful Irish girls. I found myself wishing I knew what it was like to grow up in Ireland during days of famine, suffering and war, if only to be closer with my ancestors. And I found myself wishing Bea was with me, filling my heart and soul with her stories. 
     The closest thing to having my grandmother with me is spending some good time with the older sisters celebrating our Irish background. We sang, we danced, we colored, we shared stories, we laughed. We had an all around good time. I can't count how many kisses I got because of my sticker that clearly stated, "Kiss me, I'm Irish." St. Patty's Day brings out the drunk on life, full of love person in all of us. The amount of Irish around me made me feel at home, where I was meant to be, with family. 
      The above Irish blessing is one I constantly think of when I think of Bea. She isn't there, she is everywhere with me. I feel as her and my Granddad are with me always, protecting me. But after I read it again, I thought how perfect it is for Jesus on His Resurrection day?! For He was not there, He did not sleep. The song I chose for today is Siuil a Ruin, which translates, "Walk, walk, walk, my love. Go calmly and go quietly, go through the door and flee with me. And may you go safely, my dear." If that's not romantic, I don't know what is. And Jesus is the Great Romancer, for He sang this to me this morning!!
      Until we meet again, may the road rise to meet you, may the sun shine warm upon your face and the wind be always at your back, may the rains fall soft upon your fields, may God hold you in the palm of His hand. 













2 comments:

  1. I think I'd like to have an Irish grandma Bea! Sounds like you had a scathingly marvelous day!
    Love the pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was such a scathingly brilliant day, AE! And whenever I meet Bea, it will be a grand day in Heaven!

    ReplyDelete