Thursday, March 22, 2012

If Jesus Was A Spider, I'd Be A Pig - Charlotte's Web Part One

"Wilbur: 'Charlotte, why are you doing all of this for me?'
Charlotte: 'Because you are my friend, Wilbur.'"

    As many of you know, I LOVE writing. I write poetry, short stories, letters and of course, newspaper articles. Not only have I written for The Nazareth and The Immaculatan, but also for the Daily Chronicle. Where's the Daily Chronicle, you ask? Well, it's in Beaverton, Oregon, the setting of Charlotte's Web. And yes, I have been the reporter for almost three months. I've witnessed no ordinary pig and a no ordinary spider. I've documented award ceremonies and miracles. I've met some pretty talented animals and some extremely prominent people who play an important part in the little pigs life. But I've also had the opportunity to interview the audience after every show, asking the kids their favorite parts, and telling them, while still in character, that I'm writing an article for the paper! 
    Ok so here's the truth: I ventured out of my hole and decided to get back into something I love so much: Theatre. I can't describe the feeling it gives me. It's a mix between adrenaline, excitement, energy, and peace. Being on the warm stage gives me a true sense of who I am. I can stand on the stage and not feel self-conscious and feel so free. I could dance and dance and dance and sing and sing and sing forever. I actually feel one hundred percent happy and on top of the world. For a little while there is nothing to worry about but the stage and stage movements. But the best part about this show is that it's Children's Theatre, so we get to play the audience full of little kids. In addition to playing a reporter, I also play a narrator and one of Charlotte's young baby spiders. I love telling the story to the kids and putting on different hats (literally) and voices. I love seeing the kids faces light up and watching them move all over their seats as the plot thickens. But most of all, I love talking to the after the show. 
     It was in "interviewing" the girls from our little sister school that I had an idea. Actually, I had "interviewed" their music nun, who I also happen to work for. She said, "My favorite part was when Charlotte sacrificed her life for Wilbur, just like Jesus did for us." Well, yes, my dear sister, that was my first thought. The more I got acquainted with the character of Wilbur, I disliked him. He is selfish, stubborn and sometimes rude to Charlotte. The more I disliked Wilbur, the more I began to recognize these traits in myself when I'm with God. It is so true that just like Charlotte gave her life for Wilbur, Jesus gave His life for us. And how many times do we take for granted His sacrifice. He could have easily told us no, that He wouldn't save us. But like Charlotte, He said, "Don't worry, I will save you. Somehow. I will." While He didn't hang from a web, He did hang from the Cross, in order to save our bacon... Oh, and just like Charlotte was incredibly beautiful, Jesus is pretty handsome Himself. 
    Yes, Jesus is the Charlotte to my Wilbur, the Spider to my pig. 








No comments:

Post a Comment