Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Season of Fall(s)


You know the obvious; I am a writer. You know I write my blog. You know I write letters. What you do not know is that I write poetry. Volumes and volumes and volumes of poetry that no one will read. In a way, my poetry has become my personal journaling. I find life to be lived easier if I can swim within similes and metaphors and symbols. I find such a magical healing within in poetry, especially when words that seem as if they are floating on the surface actually are swimming deeper in a sea of emotion. There is symbolism is every word I write. And so, since I have no words to actually blog today because I have no words to share, I figured the poem that my heart and soul composed after the emotional day I had would suffice. 

Season of Fall(s)

Darkness comes quicker now -
I swim among the black.
Around my neck, a scarf
of bitter cold surrounds me.

Draped across my shoulders
is a jacket of wind; it whistles in my ear
as it holds me tight. It chills me. 

But just as so many in my life, 
it leaves...
Leaves, dance. 
I have become one with the little one, red in the cheeks.

She hangs ever gracefully, by her long, single stem.
She cries as the same wind that loved me, bullies her. 
She falls entering into a series of downward spirals.

And as if that wasn't enough...
she is caught by the petulant cement.
What pillowed fall.
What estranged hug.

The bully wind continues to blow;
she cannot catch a break.
Falling. Falling. Fallen.

Up and down the road,
she scrapes along, not knowing if she can stop,
becoming unrecognizable, even to herself.
She's been dragged along for far too long.

But finally, finally, finally, she falls once more, over the ledge
for the last time
into a steady stream of water salted by her own tears.

The little leaf wades, for she can fall no more.
She can only rest and pray that she will cease in the arms of love.

I have become one with the little one, red in the cheeks,
weak at the stem, 
drenched at the veins.

I have become one in the season of fall(s). 

November 20, 2012

Take it for what it is, or what you interpret it to be. 




No comments:

Post a Comment