Friday, November 30, 2012

Where In The World Is Your Heart?

"Blessed are the feet of those who carry the good news."
Romans 10:14  


     When I was younger, in computer class, we used to play the online game "Where In The World Is Carmen San Diego?" The main point of the game was to travel to different parts of the world, collecting clues and meeting new people, to find Carmen San Diego! If you found her, you were successful. If not, you kept searching. Yesterday, while I was at work at the Motherhouse (and simply beaming with good news for my sisters), one of the sisters told me she wasn't surprised I was leaving the country again. I am simply traveling the world to find something. I immediately thought: instead of Carmen San Diego, I am searching the world for my heart. 
     As most of you know simply from following my blog, I've been to many, many places around the US and the World. I've traveled to places as close as Philadelphia to as far as Jamaica to do service for God's people. It's always been a deep part of who I am: to simply travel and teach the children of the world. Some people love to travel. Some love to teach. I want to do both with the rest of my life and I knew that from a very young age. I've always had a desire to get up and just go. Take all I need in one back pack, and go, living doing service for the rest of the world. However, since I'm such a busy student, I can only do so much during my Summer. 
     While I was praying sometime back in October, it crossed my heart that I needed to go to New Orleans in January this school year instead of May. I had no idea why, but I felt the need and desire to. So, I put in my application and was the last possible person accepted for the service trip. It was as simple as that. God said go, and He made it possible. I still had no idea why He wanted me to go in January. A few weeks later in November, I heard wind of the annual Peru trip. So, I took interest, talked to Sister Elaine and submitted yet another application. Within two days, I got an email saying, "Thanks for the email, Bec. Start saving." Without wanting to assume, my heart suddenly seemed set on going to Peru. 
       A few days after Thanksgiving break, there was an email in my inbox with the formal heading, invitation and congratulations of being accepted for the Summer 2013 Peru trip. I was in shock. This was the reason God said, "Hey, Bec, go to NOLA in January." He had bigger plans for me for my Summer. I suddenly felt so blessed and knew that God was going to take care of this situation. And once the shock wore off, I knew I had one person (in addition to so many others) I had to tell: Sister Miriam Irene.
       Sister Miriam Irene and I met my Freshmen year during one of the annual Camilla trips and hit it off instantly. Every time we visited she would fill my heart with a passion to go to Peru. Or anywhere, but definitely Peru. The sisters have had missions there for a while and that's the life I've always desired. My heart would always be on fire to do what she did after every visit! And so, when I went to Camilla yesterday, I told her. Her beautiful smile got so big and she simply hugged me saying how excited she was for me! I almost cried...and so did she! Once she knew, I felt I could tell the rest of the sisters. And so, at work last night, I let them all know!
      I waited for Sister Martina to "pop in" and when she did, I told her. Within minutes, most of the Motherhouse knew! Except a few others. When Sister Lorraine, the Mother General came in, I told her to brace herself. She took it so seriously, I was laughing so hard as I tried to tell her I was headed to Peru. She, of course, was so excited! My heart was so on fire for Peru, but in general to continue this dream that God has placed in my heart!
     And so, now, I tell the rest of you the good news! I'm headed to Peru to work with the children! Of course, I need to brush up on my Spanish, but I believe that even if I don't understand the language, I'll be able to understand the hearts of the children and beautiful people of Peru. Just like I understood the Patois of the Jamaican babies. Just like how I understood the heavy Southern Accents of the NOLA people. There's a love and fire in their hearts!!! And I share that love and fire!
     I've grown past the years of  searching for Carmen San Diego, and now I'm searching for my heart. Where does my heart really lay?! I know I have so many stirrings to travel and teach. Maybe I'll never put down permanently, but maybe Peru could be ultimately where my heart is. Regardless, God is sending me there to at least pick up some clues!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment