Monday, November 28, 2011

The Life of an English Major and the Art of Procrastination

    If one was ever an English major or knows an English major (they aren't that rare, I promise), she would know that for every page, it only takes ten minutes. Unless it's a research paper; then, add five minutes per page. And so even though I have a 3 page paper and 5 page paper (which are really NOTHING compared to what I had to write in high school), both of which are due tomorrow, I am not worried because it will barely take me two hours to write both. So what did I do instead of writing my paper?
    It all started when I put on a playlist called "Happiest Love Songs", most of which were acoustic songs. It's always been my dream to be that crazy sister who plays guitar for her students every Friday. Legitimately, I have had this dream of me dressed in a habit of sorts, singing for my students. I could sing anything from secular songs that I can relate to Jesus, or improvisation to teach them lessons. And especially there will be days when we use music as prayer instead of vocal prayer (future students of mine, also be on the look for journaling and meditating). So after listening to all the acoustic music, I made my FB status, "I really need to learn how to play guitar if I'm going to be that awesome, guitar-playing nun that sings to her students every Friday in class..." Then all of a sudden people left and right were liking it and commenting on it, wishing me luck and what not. Then one of my closest friends posts a scene from the 1980's movie, Airplane, where the lady borrows a guitar from the nun on board. So then, seeing what YouTube could offer me, I searched "Nuns playing guitars." NOTHING. Can you believe it? Not a single nun playing guitar. There WAS a nun playing air guitar at a Steubie conference, but no legit guitars, people. So now I REALLY need to learn guitar so I can post videos of myself on YouTube for curious discerners wondering if nuns play guitars. I promise you, they do. I know so many sisters who play guitars and I sing for them. It's great. But anyway, back to the story. So, disappointed in no guitars, I searching "Singing Sisters" and THE DAUGHTERS OF ST. PAUL CAME UP. 
    When I was in high school, I used to sit in the computer lab after school while waiting for my Daddy to pick me up and I would just listen to the Daughters on YouTube for hours while doing homework. I love them. I saw them in concert two years ago and I was in love. Their voices are angelic and it was literally like being in Heaven. I really, really, really thought about discerning with them because I love to sing. Literally LOVE. When I sing, it's one of the few moments I feel so utterly free. And when I listened to them, again I felt so free. But I know my vocation is to teach. 
   So anyway, that's my story. This is just the simple life of an English major who also wants to be a sister. 


No comments:

Post a Comment