Wednesday, November 16, 2011

    So let's talk about normal. Every college student skips class for various reasons. Most of the time, college kids are sick, "sick", need a mental health day or simply are skipping because the very next day starts some type of break and they have a plane to catch. I fall into this catagory, only IF I am completely incapacitated by the flu (like I was LAST week). However, today, I did the normal with the extraordinary. Yes, I skipped classes (with permission) BUT it wasn't for any of the above reasons. Today, I proudly skipped class to be a student leader for a local high school's senior girl retreat. WOOHOO!
    Needless to say, I was riding my high horse of happiness (AKA the school van) on the way there and I really couldn't wait. When we finally got there (everyone loses their way sometimes...), we were met with a sister who HAD AN ENGLISH ACCENT. I don't know about you, but I love ACCENTS! So immediately I was in love with the place. Then we walked around to find our "sacred space"  and found the CHAPEL! AHHHHHH. So it's completely in the round and all you see through the windows is NATURE; trees, leaves, squirrels, loveliness. Not to mention JESUS in EXPOSITION! Oh my goodness, it was a slice of HEAVEN!
   Ok so anyway, our lovely ladies of God get there and talk about ROWDY RAMBUNCTIOUS TEENAGERS. Oh wait...that's me. Yeah, I was ready to BOUNCE. OFF. THE. WALLS. from happiness. Everyone seemed so open to the retreat and I just know it's going to be a good one; I know there's going to be happiness and tears and GOD, totally! We break up into our groups, make our goals and share, discuss, and get to know each other. And then we get to the real deep stuff; cross the line and path of angels.
    If you've ever done a cross the line, you know it consists of real deep personal questions. It talks about discrimination, beliefs, race, the whole nine yards. And then there's th question: Cross the line if you've ever felt alone in a crowded room. Every single girl moved forward. Including myself. It happens, we all feel alone at times. But that's why we do our path of angels. Everyone lines up on either side of the hallway and then one by one every person walks down the middle so that they have to listen to the BEAUTIFUL comments everyone has for them. Talk about moving. Wow, tears. After every girl went through, we thought we were done. But no. The Spirit was so present that each of the girls encouraged the leaders to go down as well. Now if you read my most recent blog about adventuring and getting injured, you know that I have a brace on my knee and have to hobble instead of walk. In the words of one of my best friends, "my swag is off". Yeah, my swag! So I hobbled down the LONG hallway to the cheers of beautiful, young women I have never met before.
   Finally, after that oh so moving exercise, we all moved to the Chapel. Yeah, the little piece of Heaven I mentioned earlier. The final part of the retreat was the letter reflection. I won't tell you too much except that truly this was a time when the girls were made aware of how much they are loved by family. Having done this reflection before, I can truly tell you that it creates a lot of tears and emotions. I even found myself crying with all the girls. Being in that sacred space, with all those girls, with the calming music, I could feel nothing but love. Especially as I sat on the floor a bit incapacitated with my slacking knee and shared moments with dear hearted Sister.
    I can honestly say, that for the first time being a student leader for a retreat, nothing allows me to be more peaceful that spreading LOVE in anyway. Yeah, I guess that's my calling: to love in every way possible. "Our vocation is to love." (Mother Teresa)

No comments:

Post a Comment