Tuesday, November 8, 2011

My Soul is Thirsting...

   I'm supposed to be working on homework right now, instead I'm multi-tasking and blogging and picking music for our monthly F.O.P. (Festival of Praise...AKA Adoration with BEAUTIFUL music...no conceitedness imtended). Oh yeah, and snacking on chocolate...even though I really shouldn't since I'm lactose intolerant. But hey, you only live once, right?! Anyway, I realized I haven't shared any stories lately, so here goes...
   I am so blessed to be surrounded by familiar faces in blue and white...aka...sisters. I see them walking to class, I see them in class, I see them at Mass every morning, I see them in the Cafeteria, I see them when I'm out on my walks, I see them when I go shopping, I see them EVERYWHERE! But really, I'm not complaining. I also work for/with them. Aside from being Portress (stemmed from the Latin, porta, meaning door or entrance...) at the Motherhouse (place of formation and council) across the street from school, I also work one on one with the Sister who is the head of Campus Ministry. How did I score that job? Well, this same sister was my FYE Teacher (woot, FIRST YEAR EXPERIENCE) and she saw right through me. I guess a lot of sisters caught on to my discernment when I continued to get up at the crack of dawn for prayers and Mass way into the second semester, but she saw right through me from the very beginning. As part of my FYE course, we had to fill out on of those intense personality assessments and apparently, I scored low on my desire to be at college or finish my studies. Hm..I wonder why?! And so, when we sat down to discuss my "low desire" I could only laugh. She hesitated when she asked if there was somewhere else I'd rather be. I answered very assertively, "Yes, the convent, sister." With that, she smiled, and said, "All in God's time." I shook my head in agreement and from there she became a close confidante. Soon after that encounter, she asked me if I needed a work study job. OF COURSE I DID! And there I found myself, working one on one with someone I felt saw right through me. And in truth, she really did.
    Last week, while I was icky sicky with the flu, she emailed me from down the hall (we live on the same floor in my dorm building) and advised me to rest and skip classes and work. As heartbroken as I was to be missing work with her, I was so relieved to be able to sleep. And like me, she really wanted to be rest and rest and rest so that I would be fully restored for the Final Vow Ceremony. All throughout my weekend she was emailing me checking up on me and asking how things were going. I simply emailed back, there is too much to tell; I must tell you in person. And so, for the majority of my "work" hours both yesterday and today, we sat down and talked about my weekend and my life in general. It's the reason I truly love working with her; it's personal and she is such a mentor to me still. It's how every day at work starts and ends; talking about our lives.
    Today I had to laugh when she asked if I was doing a bit of spiritual reading after Mass in the big Chapel. You see, we are pew buddies (since I needed "help" with my Liturgy of the Hours book way back when) and after Mass in that particular Chapel, I always do a bit of reading while I wait for my friends to go to breakfast. And usually, it is a bit of Spiritual reading, since it is the only time I really have to read. However, this time it wasn't. In fact, it was my newest romantic fiction novel. I confessed and told her it wasn't this time. But to make up for it, I handed over my FAVORITE spiritual reading book, Lying Awake, so she could do the same next week. Of course, with her, everything HAS to be discussed, and she asked WHY it's my favorite. Well, aside from what I told her, I think she'll really see why when she opens the book and finds all my pencil markings.
    For me, work isn't a burden because I get to talk with some of my favorite people and closest mentors. Whether the realize it or not, I honestly hold them in such esteem, especially my Campus Ministry Sister. Because without her knowing it, she gives me such wisdom and I don't know where I would be without her!

P.S. The song is one that's been stuck in my head for a few days...guess what's getting put on the FOP playlist!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment