Thursday, November 3, 2011

My Mom Away From Home

"When someone takes care of you when you're sick, it's a true indication that they really love you." - Unknown

   If you've ever been sick at college, there's a deep desire to be taken care of. Scratch that, if you've ever been sick, all you really want is for someone to take care of you, mostly your mommy. So, there I was, laying in my bed with the itchy, scratchy throat and runny, stuffy nose. All I wanted was someone to take care of me, but my mommy was an hour away. So, I resolved that I would get better on my own, and took some medicine then went to bed an hour earlier than normal. 
   The next day I woke up with the desire to dislocate my throat from my neck it burned so much and I felt extremely dizzy when I jumped off my bed. But, I had to learn how to be bilingual and teach a lesson on Healthy Relationships in my FYE class. There was no bailing yet. In my third class of the day, despite the heat being turned all the way up, I was freezing, sneezing, and my eyes were constantly tearing. I figured, I would push through my lab and sleep til my 7:20-10 class. But alas, God had other plans.
    I'm a big believer that sometimes we have to fall in order to be lifted up and so, whenever I get sick, I believe that maybe it's God's way of testing my dependency on Him. However, this time God's message wasn't about my dependency on Him but rather other people, especially those I love.
    Whenever I get sick, I usually don't tell anyone, and pull myself through it, except my mommy. But this time, I knew I could not be sick for this weekend and asked a few people to pray for me. The one of my closest sisters, despite being far away from me, took the praying for me to a whole new level. She took care of me via texting. I got a morning text that said, "I hope you're feeling better for your observations." And then when I wasn't feeling any better, but even worse, "You better be drinking lots of fluids and taking medicines. Have you eaten anything today?" She also encouraged me to get lots and lots of rest. 
    It's not easy being sick at school, especially when your mommy is an hour away. But knowing that people, especially my closest sisters, love me so much enough to take care of me, even if they have to do it via texting, somehow makes the NyQuil work ten times faster. So thanks Sister "Mom" for your taking such good care of me. You're the best and I'm way beyond blessed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment