Thursday, January 12, 2012

Dome Means Home ... VOCATION-NESS!

      As many of you have been reading, it's Vocations Awareness Week. And you also probably know that I didn't blog yesterday or Tuesday. Oh the pains of forgetting your computer charger at home! Oops! Anyway, it has been a lovely TWO days without my computer. Seriously, I suggest a break up between you and your computer for a little bit. And maybe your cell phone, too. Breaking up, or rather, giving each other some space REALLY MAKES THE RELATIONSHIP BETTER! It was the best thing that happened to all my friends. For two nights in a row, our computers were still packed away and we literally spent five hours together, cooking, eating, talking and laughing! Not only was it super to have the WHOLE GANG BACK TOGETHER, but also to be completely with each other. Anyway, so let me sum up my past two days with you because they were perfectly filled with vocation-ness. 
    On my last day home, I made a vow to not go visiting people. I decided that it often gets me too stressed out because of the time restraints I have for getting back to school on time. That all changed when I had to pop over to my High School. I was planning to sneak in and sneak out. But apparently, once Becca Gutherman is in the building, EVERY ONE KNOWS! I had to go visit on of the guidance counselors who at one point was my guidance counselor, too. We had grown extremely close and I even babysit her son at times! When I found her silently awaiting for the end of the exam (she was on HALL DUTY), she immediately struck up conversation. The first thing we talked about: how are things with the nuns? You know most people get asked how their boyfriend is, but I get the nuns. I love it! As we talked she started to tell me that multiple girls have opened up to her about considering it. They come in and ask if she remembers me and, of course, she says YES! Then they say they love how I've always been open and very real about my vocation: the good stuff and the bad stuff. She told me that because of my openness, more people are considering it and talking about it! I was so happy that GOD HAD REACHED THOSE GIRLS AND THEY WERE ANSWERING. So, let's keep praying for them :)
     I shortly after ran into a few of the sisters, gave my hugs, said my goodbyes and headed out. I felt like I was free-falling of happiness and freedom. I wasn't stressed out, I was free. As I drove, I opened the windows and literally sang at the top of my lungs to every Christian song that came on the radio. I laughed as I thought of being that crazy, young nun who blasts the Christian radio station on her way to after school community service projects with my students. "Sh, girls. Just don't tell my Superior!" Everyone has a slightly rebellious side to them! 
     After picking my sisters up from school, doing some last minute shopping and throwing the Christmas tree in my dad's truck as one last HURRAH, we started on our way to the dome. We ate some dinner and then unpacked. As I gave my sister a piggy back ride up and down the hallway, I almost cried; I didn't want her to leave me. And when they walked out the door, I watched her wipe tears from her face. I ran upstairs and right away got to working with my retreat leader nun for this weekends retreat. After my friends crashed the meeting, we left and just hung out, literally, talked and laughed.
     The next morning was my first morning back at Mass with all the sisters. Yep, I steady go to Mass every day with the sisters and pray with them. I think they may have been more excited for me to be back than I was. It was so great to be swarmed with hugs and HAPPY NEW YEAR GREETINGS! The readings were perfect vocation readings. Especially with Samuel and Eli! Eli was one who helped Samuel HEAR his CALL from the LORD! I seriously had my mind blown sitting in Mass. My thought processed to this: Oh My GOSH, I have so many Eli's in my life. Yes, it was a day where I realized there are SO MANY PEOPLE who have brought me to this vocation!
     We spent the day getting ready for retreat, shopping, crafting, visiting, etc. It was one of the most productive days ever. And we had so much fun doing it. We would casually split up in the stores and when everyone was ready, they would shout, "SISTER MOMMY!" Which just happens to be my new nickname. Sister for, well, obvious reasons. And Mommy because I take care of all my friends like they are my children. When they are sick, I take care of them. I cook for them. I make sure they have everything together. It just comes with being the oldest sibling, I guess. It comes naturally. 
      After moving my new roommate in, we made FAMILY dinner (TACOS) and decided on some FAMILY DINNER RULES. One of the rules is that if one of the "family" members can't cook, they must tell Becca what they want, go to the store with her, so she can tell you what to buy, you buy it and then let Becca teach you how to cook it! I call that success! Our family dinner lasted a little bit over four hours. It was a combination of eating, laughing, chatting, nun following, and simply being around each other. It was perfect. In the middle of our dinner, my work study nun (who lives four doors down. so convenient.) came to my room to see all of our retreat stuff and my mess of a room. Honestly, I'm so neat when it comes to my room but there was stuff everywhere because I had yet to unpack! Oops. But she admired the art on the walls. Ha ha!
      Anyway, the night was a long one as I caught up with more friends, especially my best friend and my other half. Bed time happened around 1:30 this morning and today started at 6:30. Yep, I'm back on the college schedule. NO SLEEP! And that's what naps are for! Mass in the morning, nap in the afternoon. Perfection. 
    Yes, I'm so glad to be back at school! I miss my sisters and my nuns but once the swing of things starts swinging, I'll be good to go til Spring Break. However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't mind surprise visits from certain sisters or a mailbox full of love! Bring on the prayers, sisters, friends and family!! And the love!! And I'll bake/cook for you when you come! You can meet all my family here!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment