Saturday, January 21, 2012

I'm Only Human...A Story About Celibacy

     I wonder if any of you has ever heard the term Father or Sister "WhatAWaste"? It's name most commonly given to those particular people who are beautiful both inside and outside. What past generations might coin, "a looker," "a beauty," "a knockout," or even, "a lulu" (never heard that one before), and my generation might call, "a hottie." And yet, why the whatawaste? Well, because they are so beautiful. In our heads we dream up reasons why that sister or father entered religious life and talk about the HUGE amount of hearts he or she probably broke by entering religious life. And then we catch ourselves realizing how they ARE perfectly who they are meant to be.
      When I walked into Mass Friday morning, I could tell the air was different. First thing I noticed: our regular chaplain was no where to be seen. Second thing I noticed: no one seemed to be bothered by it. Clearly I had missed something. Anyway, morning prayer had started and still no priest. Then randomly, through the door came Father "WhatAWaste." I'm confessing my humanity here.
       He is my favorite priest who says Mass occasionally on campus. I don't know his name or where he is from but he's young. Maybe only ten years my senior. Probably less. And his homilies; so perfect. I can honestly say why they wouldn't put him on a college campus more often! And let me honestly, I was probably not the only one condemning him Father "WhatAWaste."
      And as all of this was going through my head, JC decided to put the joke on me. Yep, the cute priest WOULD start his homily by talking about celibacy and how it's not the hardest part of being a religious, how he doesn't even have time to think about it. Let me honestly say, the whole chapel full of us swooning women, for we are only human, giggled at that notion. Oh, sure. But then, I thought about it. Neither do I. I don't even have time to think about celibacy. Of course, when the random good looker walks by, I'll acknowledge his God-gifted gorgeous-ness. But the truth is, that's it. Oh hi, you're cute. Nice to meet you; I'm training to be a nun. Ok, well not really. But you get the point.
      Father went on to talk about how to hardest parts of religious life are more the relationships we build within the community. It's hard when you build such good relationships and then get uprooted from your ministry and moved. He also said that there is always at least one person with whom you won't get along. With this, I concur. Even in discerning, I can witness a bit of the hardest parts of this life. I can't honestly say I've seen it all, I probably never will.  There are tons of fears I have, as any one sister or priest or brother or nun may, but it's in the handing over of those fears to God that we find out our dependence on Him and not ourselves.
     And so, my lesson for the day is this: God called me out on one of my biggest fears by sending me father "whatawaste" and healed that fear in the process. Yep, He's as real to me as my best friend and He can give me the greatest guidance when I sincerely need it the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment