Sunday, January 22, 2012

Toughin' and Roughin' It Like the Real Nuns...the Snow Story

       I love snow. I love the way it smells, I love the way the sky never gets dark after a snowfall, I love how you can never tell how late it really is outside, I love how everyone stays inside when it snows and I love simply laying in the snow! When I was a kid it took forever to get me back inside the house. I would layer up and be outside long before any of the other kids. I would build forts, snow men, go sledding. You name it, I did it. I just love snow. 
        And the truth is, I love summer, too. But most times I'd rather it be colder outside. You can always put more on than you can take off, I like to say. But most times, I don't wear too many layers in the snow anyway. The cold simply doesn't bother me. And so yesterday, when I found out it had snowed, I mentally prepared my outside for the snow. A pair of leggings and jeans with a heavy sweater and a coat. Shoes? Flats. I headed out of the dorm building fifteen minutes before Mass started and was met by the group of Sisters from the college driving over to the Motherhouse. Before I could object to a ride, they threw me in the back seat, and sped away. Ok actually, the gently asked me if I wanted a ride...if I helped clear off the car. Ok. No big deal. Sure. So we drove over. No one thought about my lack of layered outfit until I left the building after Mass. I walked right into a group of the sisters who were coming from a nearby Parish and I just happened to know them pretty well. First thing they said, "Aren't your feet cold?" Without missing a beat, I replied, "I'm just toughin' it out like the real nuns." We all laughed as they looked at their shoes; no better than my own. And then Sister said, "You're right, Bec, just like Theresa Maxis in Michigan. Right through the snow to the little log cabin." Yep, just like their foundress, I trudged through the snow back to my little dorm building.
      Now mind you, the snow fun hadn't ended there. Later that night (and I mean later...like 9:30PM) my best friend and I took his sleds out to the Motherhouse hills and went sledding. For a good hour and a half, we played like little kids in the snow. It was perfect!! 



Oh, and I couldn't help but post the picture of all the nuns' coats and boots lined up in the hallway; way too precious!

No comments:

Post a Comment