Monday, January 2, 2012

There Should Be Group Therapy For That...Day One of a Nun-Tastic Week

   Day One of a Nun-Tastic Week: Zoo with the Fam-Squad, my best friend and one of my many sisters; Movie date to watch Warhorse with formerly stated, sister/nun.

   Two weeks ago, I asked one of the first sisters I ever got close with, to save the date, January 2, for me. At the moment I didn't know I'd have to share her with my family. Sometimes, when I invite the sisters with us, it was either A. my dad's idea because he loves them more than me or B. my dad/sisters talk more to the sisters because he/they love them more than me. Actually, I'm my Daddy's favorite, so there is no question about him loving anyone more than me, but in all fairness, my dad loves the sisters almost as much as I do. (And my dad really doesn't play favorites). It's a common joke in my family, however, that my Dad will love me more when I am a sister because there's something he just loves so much about religious life. And so, he loves when the sisters come hang out with us.
    Today, we went to the zoo. It's one of my favorite places to take pictures (it's a hobby of mine) because of how animate the animals always are for me. Not to mention we spend an awful lot of time there, so the animals pretty much recognize me as the friendly face. Not a single member of my family, though, appreciates the love I have for the photogenic animals. I'm always being left behind at the exhibit, taking pictures of my favorite animals. But today was different. My partner in crime, one of my sisters, since it was her first time at the zoo, stood by me and even stole my camera a few times just to take the pictures of the most beautiful creatures on the earth. We stood there, took photographs, talked to the animals and the people around us, and enjoyed every moment of the zoo. It was the longest and coldest visit we ever had at the zoo, but also the best visit. I wouldn't trade in any other visit for this one. 
    Later in the night, my middle sister asked for a ride to the movies, so instead of going awkwardly with her and her friend, as she would have called it, Sister joined me for a date. Really, I don't like the movie theater, but I really wanted to see Warhorse. My sister wanted to see We Bought A Zoo (as if she didn't have enough zoo for one day). So we split. And let me tell you, I wouldn't want to watch that movie with anyone but my religious sisters because I cried like a blubbering idiot, gasped at every part, covered my eyes during the war scenes, swooned over the heroic parts, and held on during parts of suspense. The two of us were a mess and yet, I know, my friends from school would have made fun of me, my family would have done the same, but my sisters, they know. They know and understand that a girl loves her animals. And that she really feels things in her heart. Yep, it was perfect. 
    And so ended the first day of a nun-tastic week. 





1 comment:

  1. Great blog. I went to see "we bought a zoo" too, and actually, I think it is a great discernment movie. It speaks a lot about finding joy and meaning in your life after unpleasantness. Great pictures as always :) and I especially love the title! I wonder where in the world you got it from! Hugs Sunflower!

    ReplyDelete